Seriously - what is the ONE gun?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
mark hay

RE: Seriously - what is the ONE gun?

Postby mark hay » August 11th, 2009, 12:21 pm

OH! OH! OH!,,,I have $.o2!
I have seen the operator fail ,,,,,but have never seen an 870 fail . I used one for a few years . Mainly turkeys , crows and doves . I don't own it any longer ,,, I just happened to find a double that fit perfect .

Check the pawn shops also ,,,,,especially at the end of turkey or deer seasons .
The H & R / New England Pardner pump looks and feels like an 870,,,,,but it's made in china .

jedipastorken

Postby jedipastorken » August 11th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts along the way here. The 870 and 500 is where I was leaning and I've got a lead on an 870 right now. Probably not as good a deal as I could get at the end of turkey season but then I'm not really in a position to wait.

Another friend said to consider what you'd pass down to your kids and as I don't see me buying too many guns, I'm thinking that the 870 is the kind of gun you pass on. So come January 1, I'll start saving up for that semi-auto...or the new kitchen cabinets or the new closet rennovations - you get the idea. [;)]

I can't thank ya'll enough for sharing your thoughts with this tenderfoot! Its great to count ya'll as friends.

Loving Life!
Ken

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 14th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Hey Ken, I had an 870 passed down to me from my grandfather that still performs perfectly.  It has the grooved forearm and a 5 digit serial number to give an idea of how old it is.  I has accounted for a lot of game in my hands too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

jedipastorken

Postby jedipastorken » August 22nd, 2009, 2:38 pm

To update you guys...

Just when I was set-up on an 870 along comes a deal for a Benelli Supernova in my price range w/ full set of chokes and a turkey choke as well! Pray it works out!

As I've researched, I know you guys are right on with your suggestions and your experiences. Thank you for continuing to help in educating this rookie pastor in the woods! [:D]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 22nd, 2009, 4:54 pm

You can't go wrong with a Benelli either. They are usually in a different price range, but they are also built to last.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

rutnstrutgamecalls

Postby rutnstrutgamecalls » August 23rd, 2009, 3:27 am

I would buy a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. Awesome Guns, Very Reliable, Fantastic Knock Down Power with 3" or 3.5" Shells.  
Tim Sandford
rutnstrutgamecalls@juno.com
www.rutnstrutgamecalls.com
NWTF Award Winning Call Maker
NWTF Diamond Life Sponsor Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
NRA

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 23rd, 2009, 7:12 am

I shoot a moss 535 tactical turkey, which I describe as a moss 500 on steroids because it allows you to shoot up to a 3.5 mag.

If you can handle the belting she dishes out, they shoot fantastic. I scoped mine, and it really tamed her.

As Mark says, it's just my 2 cents.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

jedipastorken

Postby jedipastorken » August 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Going to p/u the Benelli Super Nova tomorrow!!![:D]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » August 26th, 2009, 7:05 pm

ORIGINAL: jedipastorken

Going to p/u the Benelli Super Nova tomorrow!!![:D]

I believe that Super Nova has an optional (x-tra $$$ though) mercury recoil reduction module that fits in the butt stock.  Nice gun...you won't be sorry.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

jedipastorken

Postby jedipastorken » August 27th, 2009, 12:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood
I believe that Super Nova has an optional (x-tra $$$ though) mercury recoil reduction module that fits in the butt stock.  Nice gun...you won't be sorry.

No, I don't think I'm going to regret the purchase at all.  Got to spend about half hour putting dove load through this and felt nothing.  All my turkey loads are 2 3/4 but guys, still the push was mild compared to other guns I've fired.  Got all the chokes +Tru Glo turkey choke and gun bag for $325.

Now, forget dove, I'm ready for gobblers again![;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting