Seriously - what is the ONE gun?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
jedipastorken

Seriously - what is the ONE gun?

Postby jedipastorken » August 10th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Been away for a while with summer and vacations. I know this will open a flood gate of opinions so I want to add some stipulations on the question.

We don't waste a dime in our home. I wouldn't even have a choice if our health plan hadn't offered a pedometer program where we walk and earn money. Mmy motivation all year is for a shotgun as well as trying to collect the most basic but best hunting gear (waders, rain gear, calls). So far, I've got $300 to put towards a gun (new or used) - period.

My addiction is turkey hunting (given) and I've done pheasant & duck (awesome) but I really want to try out everything (dove, deer, small game, anything that moves and is legal to shoot at).

I understand the benefits of semi-auto but I didn't grow up around guns and safety is ALWAYS first for me so the extra safety of a pump makes good sense to me too.

With $300 and the choice of only ONE gun to hunt it all - what would you pick up?

Dcoleinpa

RE: Seriously - what is the ONE gun?

Postby Dcoleinpa » August 10th, 2009, 3:46 pm

remington 870 express

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 10th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Ken, I would look for a good used 12 ga Remington 870.  I would get one with screw-in chokes.  I would get a set of clamp on sights and use Foster slugs for deer.  Watch for end of season clearance sales and junk boxes at gun shows for chokes. You will be able to kill turkeys with a standard full choke until you can aford a better one.  Start small $$$ and build on it.  A Mossberg would be MY second choice (I like the way Rem's feel and sound better).  Don't overlook Browing BPS either.  There are some bargins on the used market.  Why 870 or Moss?  There are probably more accessories made for these 2 shotguns than the rest combined.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

singleshot

Postby singleshot » August 10th, 2009, 5:37 pm

first choice mossberg 835. second a remington 870.
John 1:1 John 1:14 KJV.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 10th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Hey Ken,

I'd have to cast another vote for the Remington 870. It's just a lot of gun for the money and is as tested as any gun can be. You can also "customize" one to fit your type of hunting.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 10th, 2009, 7:01 pm

One more vote for the 870.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 10th, 2009, 9:21 pm

the mossberg 500 is my choice but 870 is good gun anouther gun you might want to look into is the partner pump by h&r never owned one but i have heard good things about them[:)] wayne

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » August 11th, 2009, 12:26 am

AFTER turkey season this year, I found a Moss 835 Ultimag w/3 chokes, soft case, and 3 boxes of turkey loads for $150.00. Be sure to look local in the classifieds. Most ppl will let you shoot em and if they had "another bad season" they will practically give the guns away. Ya can't shoot slugs through a Moss though; it has a 10ga bore and a slug will bounce down the bbl.
South Carolina Low Country

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » August 11th, 2009, 3:10 am

Within your limits a Remington 870 with screw in chokes is the only way to go. It's a time proven work horse and they rarely fail if given basic maintenance.

CB

eggshell

Postby eggshell » August 11th, 2009, 11:39 am

I am going with the overwhelming favorite and say the 870 is the best all around gun for the pric and will make a nice starter gun,a . As others have said they are easy to accessorize and preform well. The first gun i ever bought myself was an 870. You can pick up rifled slug barrels very reasonably priced. 

I still wouldn't trade my Browning Gold semi auto for one though.

Next

Return to Shooting