Mossberg 535 ATS

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Mossberg 535 ATS

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » February 28th, 2009, 6:51 am

Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Mossberg 535 ATS and if you have how does it shoot?  I am looking at buying one so any info that you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.  Looking at the website it seems like its a great deal for all that you get with this firearm.  I am looking at getting the tactical turkey model that has the pistol grip.  If anyone could provide me with some feedback on shooting this shotgun or any other shotgun with a pistol grip that would be great.

Thanks in Advance,
Mack

Don S

RE: Mossberg 535 ATS

Postby Don S » February 28th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Just bought a 535 last month, thumbhole stock, 20 inch barrel, black matte finish. tried kicks, hs strut, carlsons, indian creek choke tubes. Winchester, Federal, Remington, Hevi-13 ammo, and by far indian creek and hevi-13 shoot the best in MY gun. Like the gun but remember the safety is on top and hard to get off and on with that thumbhole stock, but thats my only dislike

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 1st, 2009, 3:40 am

I apprecitate the info on this guys!  I think I will head down to Gander Mt. next weekend and put one to my shoulder to see how it feels.  I am left handed so the safeties on all of their shotguns have kept me coming back.  Never shot a pistol grip or thumbhole before so it should be interesting.  Thanks again!

Mack

Don S

Postby Don S » March 1st, 2009, 4:55 pm

with that safety you have to pull your thumb out of the hole and twist your wrist to operate the safety, then put your thumb back in. if the safety was on the triggerguard then you just use your finger

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 2nd, 2009, 3:44 am

Whatever your safety, you better be able to disengage it quietly.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 2nd, 2009, 4:51 am

i hate the safety on my tacticAl,i like the gun in the spring...not so much in the fall...its difficult to shoulder for a wing shot

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » September 13th, 2009, 1:38 am

I love my 535 tac. turkey! Just need to find the perfect choke to make it effective at 35-40 yard range.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Warbird

Postby Warbird » September 15th, 2009, 3:29 pm

ORIGINAL: nhtrkybstr

I love my 535 tac. turkey! Just need to find the perfect choke to make it effective at 35-40 yard range.

Mike

Hey NH,

If you want to save a few bucks and still make that gun shoot well.. try the carlsons .660, Cabelas hevi-shot .660 or trulock in that 535. Try some WIN LEAD 6's through those chokes. At $29-$39 you cant go wrong getting a good choke that shoots lead and hevi very well. I gave a friend one that I had tested in a 500 and his 535 loved it. He was after a good choke but didn't want to spend an arm an a leg...If you are in to shooting hevi shot I can tell you if you dont want any part of the 3.5" shells put some H-13 3" 2 oz 6's in it and you'll fall in love...not saying its the best choke because only you can find you're preferred pattern but I can guarantee you it will more than satisfy.

Warbird

Postby Warbird » September 15th, 2009, 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: nhtrkybstr

Mike

The tactical stocks have their place in the hunting world...No more of those stocks have failed than other hunting equipment...I had a 500 with the ATI tactical stock...I shot buckshot and other hevi loads through it without any failure...I prefer the knoxx collapsible with recoil suppression and have one on an 870. The pistol grips are well suited for holding the gun on the knee while running a slate..if you like...make sure your spring trigger releases and locks the stock in place if you move to adjust Lop...just like any mechanism take care of it and keep it working smoothly. If they were so dangerous the military and civilian gun companies wouldn't have thousands of them in use.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » September 16th, 2009, 10:58 am

Warbird,

Thanks for the advice! I'll give those a try!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Return to Shooting