Would it be ok/effective

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
deacon

RE: Would it be ok/effective

Postby deacon » August 19th, 2009, 11:23 pm

DO NOT shoot slugs out of that barrel!! Bad things will happen. Buckshot patterns very well out of that barrel and a modified choke and will kill out to around 50 yards. I agree with the buying of a used single shot and shooting slugs.

swampfox

Postby swampfox » September 24th, 2009, 10:19 am

ORIGINAL: 1Morgan

Maybe I'll just buy a slug barrel and be done with it...

You could buy a 30-30 winchester for what a slug barrel costs.  I've hunted deer and hogs quite a lot with buckshot.  Here in Florida the woods are pretty thick and most shots are inside 50 yards and have to be taken pretty fast.  I use 00 buck in 3 1/2 inch magnum from a 28 inch barrel.  I've knocked deer off their feet stone dead at 60 + yards. You wont want to shoot again for a few days after the wollup it gives you but it gets the job done like you can't imagine.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 25th, 2009, 2:29 am

ORIGINAL:
You could buy a 30-30 winchester for what a slug barrel costs.  I've hunted deer and hogs quite a lot with buckshot.  Here in Florida the woods are pretty thick and most shots are inside 50 yards and have to be taken pretty fast.  I use 00 buck in 3 1/2 inch magnum from a 28 inch barrel.  I've knocked deer off their feet stone dead at 60 + yards. You wont want to shoot again for a few days after the wollup it gives you but it gets the job done like you can't imagine.

I'm a big fan of using a rifle on deer...save up and get yourself one. I know guys who were strapped for cash that bought old military rifles that worked perfectly well for deer.

Shotguns are for bird hunting.  I took a shotgun loaded with 00 Buck deer hunting with me once and had deer walk across a stretch of powerline opening too far to shoot. With a rifle, it would have been all over, except for the gutting & dragging.

Check around gun shops or gun shows.  There are deals out there.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Shooting