Poll: No Shooting Beyond 40 Yards

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
MAKEemQUIVER

RE: Poll: No Shooting Beyond 40 Yards

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 8th, 2009, 4:16 pm

You guys crack me up, personally I like to get em in around 150 yards before I take the safety off of my ole .300 Win Mag [:D] (just joking). I am like nhtrkybstr, as long as you are hunting legal and you are doing it ethical it is fine with me as long as you dont judge the way I hunt. There isnt a doubt that my Encore will kill a bird at 50 yards, I've patterened it, and I'm not going to say that if I have a bird hang up at 50 that I wont pull the trigger. The situation will have to be perfect though, no brush, head up, and standing still. I've yet to have to do it and hopefully I wont have to.

Just like the rest of you I wish I could call every bird to about 25 yards and have him blow my hat off with a gobble (my second bird did just that this year [8D]) but it just dont happen that way all the time. I do feel though that if a person is going to take whatever they presume to be a long shot then they should make sure their gun is capable of doing the job.

Does anyone take a rangefinder and mark ranges when they setup. I personally dont but also dont think that it would be a bad idea. Keep the post comeing so I can keep laughing, but I have to go get my .300 oiled up for the fall season [:D]. 

Warbird

Postby Warbird » June 8th, 2009, 5:43 pm

ORIGINAL: MAKEemQUIVER

You guys crack me up, personally I like to get em in around 150 yards before I take the safety off of my ole .300 Win Mag [:D] (just joking). I am like nhtrkybstr, as long as you are hunting legal and you are doing it ethical it is fine with me as long as you dont judge the way I hunt. There isnt a doubt that my Encore will kill a bird at 50 yards, I've patterened it, and I'm not going to say that if I have a bird hang up at 50 that I wont pull the trigger. The situation will have to be perfect though, no brush, head up, and standing still. I've yet to have to do it and hopefully I wont have to.

Just like the rest of you I wish I could call every bird to about 25 yards and have him blow my hat off with a gobble (my second bird did just that this year [8D]) but it just dont happen that way all the time. I do feel though that if a person is going to take whatever they presume to be a long shot then they should make sure their gun is capable of doing the job.

Does anyone take a rangefinder and mark ranges when they setup. I personally dont but also dont think that it would be a bad idea. Keep the post comeing so I can keep laughing, but I have to go get my .300 oiled up for the fall season [:D]. 

I hear the 180's are mean in the 300 for Ole tom...LoL.. That just aint right...carry on.

turkeytraks

Postby turkeytraks » June 8th, 2009, 6:24 pm

this is a great topic with lots of different views and/or opinions.  i have spent extensive time shooting/patterning my benelli nova 12ga.  it is has a pattern that i would have never imagined before i was turned on to the nitro's.  i shoot the 3 1/2" 4x5x7 hevi-shot and it is flat out scary.  after shooting my gun at thirty yards, i would be afraid to let the bird get much closer do to the tightness of the pattern.  but that is just me.  i built this gun for long distance capabilities in the even the situation arises.  i killed 2 birds this year, both in kansas.  the first one was 35 yds and the second at 55 yards measured by rangefinder.  the only reason that i pulled the trigger on the bird at 55 yds is because i had patterned my gun out to 60 yds and knew what the gun would do if i did my part (that and i called him 500yds across a cornfield gobbling/strutting the whole way).  all can say is wow.  at 55 yds it put a hole in the birds neck below the waddles and not one pellet in the breast.  i have never seen anything like that.  i try to always call them up as close as i can, but if i spend $400-500 on a hunt only to have a bird sit out there and laugh at me at 50 yds, then i'm gonna bring him home and feel i did my part by taking the time patterning and knowing my gun and that i made an ethical shot and didn't come home emptied handed.  i respect all that have personal restrictions to shorter yardages, but here in arkansas the hunting has become very poor over the last few years with no real turn around in sight.  that extra 10 yards could be the difference in a good season and a what could have been season.  so i would have no problem pulling the trigger on a bird at 60 yds in good conditions, i.e. good rest, clear path, turkeys not bunched up. 

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » June 8th, 2009, 9:31 pm

[/quote]
ORIGINAL: turkeytraks

...but here in arkansas the hunting has become very poor over the last few years with no real turn around in sight. 

What do you think the problem is with the hunting?  Too many new hunters, or some biological issue with the birds?
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

turkeytraks

Postby turkeytraks » June 9th, 2009, 2:26 am

both magnum, the hunter numbers are increasing as well as poaching which i know happens in every state, but those factors along with 5-6 years straight of bad hatches has made it very difficult especially on public land.  i generally kill one or two here and two years ago i didn't even hear a bird.  this past year got to play with some but they were not very cooperative.  i just hope for a good hatch this year!

RedSniperDog

Postby RedSniperDog » June 22nd, 2009, 11:22 am

Whats the enjoyment in shooting a bird at long distance just because your equipment can do it?  Really think about it.  Is there really some enjoyment achieved in shooting a bird at 50, 60 yards?  Do you really have the chance to expeiance the true aspect of hunting such a wonderful creature at those distances?  Pulling a bird in close and getting to hear the hens cluck and purr while the Tom's spit and drum is what its all about in my opinion.  If I wanted to just kill something from a distance then I will pull out the rifle and go prairie dog shooting. 

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » June 22nd, 2009, 10:42 pm

ORIGINAL: RedSniperDog

Whats the enjoyment in shooting a bird at long distance just because your equipment can do it?  Really think about it.  Is there really some enjoyment achieved in shooting a bird at 50, 60 yards?  Do you really have the chance to expeiance the true aspect of hunting such a wonderful creature at those distances?  Pulling a bird in close and getting to hear the hens cluck and purr while the Tom's spit and drum is what its all about in my opinion.  If I wanted to just kill something from a distance then I will pull out the rifle and go prairie dog shooting. 

Well, if you leave a note saying you felt like shooting long range, if someone is looking for you, they'll know where to look.

In the mean time, I'll continue to hunt as I chose to, as long as I'm not violating any game laws.

Bobby:  I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner regarding my post with all the bolded words.  You didn't offend me.  It's just that I've heard the logic of not earning a bird if you shoot him farther than 40 yards since I started posting on these sites.  Respectfully, I don't agree with that, and on that particular day I felt a compelling urge to communicate my feelings in no uncertain terms.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 23rd, 2009, 5:43 am

Magnumdood, 10-4 on that.

I didn't really think much of my wording when I first put it out there because I was just expressing my thoughts regarding me and there truly was no insinuation towards anyone else. I realize looking back how it could be taken that way especially if others have voiced this in a manner that implies judgement towards others.

There was a line I used that Eggshell and I discussed that definitely didn't sound right and I edited it out.

I think the key to participating in these forums is to always offer an opinion that shows respect towards others views if you want the same in return.  I do try to keep this in mind but these types of conversations helps you to realize it even more.

I'm one that puts more credence in post that I see as delivered in an open minded fashion and write off the ones that sound like "my way or the highway".

We all have our own styles, ways, goals,objectives, thoughts , and opinions and whos to say whos right or wrong.

We all believe we're right.[:)]

Also I thought Warbird made a very good comment and helped lay out the perspective on shootin at distances

Jim Spencer

Postby Jim Spencer » June 24th, 2009, 11:15 am

There have been some great comments on this thread - some not so great ones, too - and as Bobby says, we all think we're right. And we all are, as long as we're legal and deadly at whatever range we like to shoot 'em at.

But it seems to me everybody's missing the important issue here. The question shouldn't be "how far will you shoot?" but rather "how much farther than the effective range of your gun will you shoot?" Jim Schlender's "Is 50 the new 40?" piece was referred to earlier, and the gist of that story was that improvements in technology (chokes, shot composition, improvements in wad design, faster loads, blahblahblah) have pushed the outer limits of effective range farther from the gun barrel.

Forty yards was the maximum effective range when I was a pup, because the guns and shells just wouldn't deliver a dense enough and hard-hitting enough pattern beyond that range to consistently kill turkeys. Now, my current gun/choke/shell/shot combination lets me deliver a devastating pattern at 55 yards, and the shot size and shot composition I use retains the requisite 2 foot-pounds of energy per pellet at that distance. Do I want to get 'em closer? Yes, unquestionably. Will I shoot one at 55 yards? Yes, just as unquestionably, if I'm absolutely sure of the range and if I'm convinced he's not coming any closer.

And, because I get to hunt a lot and have hunted for enough years to have gotten over some of the feeling of desperation to kill the turkey at all costs, I've become pretty good at resisting the urge to stretch my gun barrel beyond its maximum consistent killing range.

HOWEVER, many newbies and folks who don't get to hunt as often sometimes give in to this urge to send out the turkey hunter's equivalent of the Hail Mary. I knew an old duck hunter who never quit shooting until his gun was empty, no matter how far away the ducks were by the time he ran out of shells. His explanation was "When there's lead in the air, there's hope in the heart." Don't anybody take offense at this, because I am NOT pointing specific fingers, but there's a lot of that kind of attitude among some turkey hunters. Maybe there's a "golden bee-bee" in the shell, so why not take a whack at him when he hangs up at 65 yards?

That's the problem we ought to be talking about, guys and gals, not arguing about whether a 25-yard bird is more valuable a trophy than a 40-yarder. If the gun will kill the bird and you feel good about it, whose business is it but yours? 

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 25th, 2009, 4:15 am

Hey Jim,

I think you've put it all in the proper perspective. We should not have "Hail Marys" when we're hunting turkeys. Spending time at the bench with various shotshells/chokes is the only way to really know the capabilities of your own gun and of your ability to use that gun, at various ranges and in various conditions. The patterns and the penetration of the "combination of ingredients" that you choose and your ability to deliver them effectively, should dictate the shooting distance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting