Poll: No Shooting Beyond 40 Yards

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
eggshell

RE: Poll: No Shooting Beyond 40 Yards

Postby eggshell » June 6th, 2009, 2:35 pm

When I was a pup I got too anxious and wounded a couple birds not waiting and then went to the extreme the other way and thought I had to be able to feel his breath on me to shoot and that cost me several birds, but in reality  most of those chances came back to me. I also missed some birds because of my tight patterns. Somewhere my philosophies met in the middle and I started shooting birds around 30 yards. I have come to the point now with the new choke tubes and premium loads that i do not let a bird inside 25 if I can help it; I've had enough breath on me I don't need to prove I can do that.  I've had birds I could touch, just to see if I could do it. I suppose most of us have. I am a horrible judge of yardage and have killed some birds I normally wouldn't have tried, but in an open view I feel pretty competent shooting out to 50yards and getting a clean kill. This year I actually took the restricted turkey tube out of my gun and returned to the standard full. With the new heavy shot shells I found the pattern is more uniform with a little more open choke. The approximate ranges on the birds I killed this year was 45, 25, 25, 35. The 45 yard was on a bird that a hen had spooked and was walking away I had to wait on him to clear brush to be open, but I knew my gun and still was certain if he cleared he was dead. so in ending, I like em closer, but in the right circumstance I'll go out to 45-50 on a bird. I can honestly say in my 38 years of hunting turkeys I have never considered the concept that a bird had to be so close or he wasn't earned. I find that an amusing angle, and i know this will P#$% some off, but a little elitist.   

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 6th, 2009, 7:24 pm

ORIGINAL: eggshell

I can honestly say in my 38 years of hunting turkeys I have never considered the concept that a bird had to be so close or he wasn't earned. I find that an amusing angle, and i know this will P#$% some off, but a little elitist.   

Dana, 

I'm alot of things but an "elitist" is not one of them. I have crawled up on birds, I've bushwhacked birds, and I've called birds in and I shoot em just about anyway I can. And I'm proud of everyone I get. I just more proud of some than others.

I'm the first one to congratulate someone and would be the last to intentionally make someone feel bad about what they do.

The comment you found "amusing" about feeling like I've "earned" a bird by getting him into a certain range has everything to do with early influences, a mental concept based on others I respected, and a personal preference and nothing to do with an elitist attitude. No where did I say that someone else did not earn a bird. Read it again. 

To better help you understand I'll put it like this. If I work a bird and he comes in and hangs up but drifts in to around the 40-45 yards line and acts like he's gonna leave, I'll bust him and be glad to have him. But the closer I can get the bird to come and if I feel that I had the bird totally committed, I'm going to feel even better about what I've done. Thats the concept and way I've hunted.

It's kind of like drawing a circle and the closer to the center he gets the better score I feel Ive "EARNED".

I don't like to shoot at birds much further because the truth is, I'm not that great of a shot and I've missed one to many birds and it's just not worth it to me based on my history to risk it.

The last 10 years that I deer hunted I only would shoot what I considered to be a mountable deer, not because I was an elitist, but because that's was the personal challenge I wanted.

This is an open forum and a great one at that. Everyone gets to chime in with an opinion and I try to express mine in a way that shows respect to others and try not to come across offering the only way.

Over time personalities show up and if you want to make ceratin remarks thats fine but in this case I thought I'd help you understand where I was coming from.

Bobby

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » June 6th, 2009, 9:11 pm

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

ORIGINAL: Warbird

I believe the feeling of accomplishment is great from knowing I have set up a shotgun with my own personal recipe in the choke, shells (reloaded or custom loaded, scope, barrel work, bench time, camo pattern, then patterning a half dozen chokes and loads and knowing your putting a maximized pattern downrange to dispatch that gobbler as ethical as possible...If I take him at 10 steps or beyond 40 within the limits of the gun, I believe my goal was accomplished. Shooting a bird at whatever range has nothing to do with ethics. Ethical shots are those taken within the capabilities of the hunter and his equipment with lawful means in a suitable environment. Shooting a bird at only within "X" distance is a personal code each of us has different views on. I BELIEVE WE ALL SHARE THE SAME ENDPOINT. To dispatch, harvest, bag, kill or whichever terminoligy one may prefer in a manner that most humane to the gobbler...which is as fast as possible once the trigger is pulled...All my opinion 

Yall have a good one!

I can't agree with this. ( sure its not suprise to alot of you guys)

If seeing how far one could cleanly kill a turkey was the goal you might have a point but for me and I hope everyone else out there the point is seeing how well you can fool the gobbler and how close you can get him.

I'm 100% in the car with WarbirdWisturkeyhunter, you miss the point of Warbird's post.  In every hunting or shooting discipline I've been involved in there are equipment junkies; guys who want to get the most out of their gear while harvesting an animal or shooting paper.  Sure, we set up and call, but, if a turkey hangs up out there at 60 yards...he's roasted.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 7th, 2009, 1:58 am

Bobby,

I made the remark to rattle the cage for the most part, I wanted to see what kind of fire would come back. Pride is a dangerous thing and can be a good thing when kept to a healthy perspective. <---- that is intended as a general statement and is not intended to be pointed at you or anyone else, just thought provoking.

I have no doubt your a very good turkey hunter and one I am pretty sure i'd feel good about being in the woods with (I have no doubt your very safe). I've seen your numbers and your trophy room pictures and they are impressive. Don't feel I singled you out, however; one remark you made did kinda ruffle me: "I don't and won't allow anyone hunting with me to shoot until the bird comes into my personal killing range". I have to tell you we'd part company when you instructed me how I was going to hunt or shoot. With that aired I appreciate your feedback.

Sometimes we just need to be ruffled up enough that our brain kicks in and we think about things. I knew I was stirring the crap with the comment and so I probably deserve being told off, but hey internet forums are like turkey hunting....when it quits being fun you need to let it go or adjust.

I wish you well and please don't think I'm being some jerk. The sad part of the internet is you can't feel people's attitude. If there was an emotion button you would have heard the light chuckle when I wrote the comment. It's all fun dude!

I wish I could know everyone here better, it would be fun. We all love turkey hunting and that's why we're here. I love it too, but it comes behind My God, my family and life in general and providing for those. Hey I just enjoy chasing turkeys and I kill em as I can.

Ok, I guess I haven't learned my lesson so here's putting the stick back in the pot and stirring. Do we value a turkey more than say a dove, quail or pheasant. How many have stretched a shot on those and watched feathers fly and a bird fly off obviously wounded and how did you feel? I'd rather not do it to a turkey or any other animal, but it happens. I personally have pretty much the same feelings on the turkey as a dove or pheasant. I keep them in the same range as much as possible and shoot with the intent to kill quickly and as efficiently as my skill allows. Do you guys hold a different range for other birds?

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 7th, 2009, 3:02 am

Dana,

Thanks for the last response and I will say that the part on my iniatial post about "not allowing someone else to shoot beyond my range" would have been better left out as it does have "a sound " to it . The truth is anyone hunting with me would do what ever they're capable of and I would not be trying to be a "shot monitor".

So if we ever did hunt toegther you or anyone else thats set up and confident would be welcome to shoot the bird before he got within my circle and I'd have to hope to find another bird

Bobby.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 7th, 2009, 3:38 am

Thx Bobby,

I think your probably a pretty cool guy.

I only hunt with 2-3 other guys anymore and we all have an agreement; when setting up together, the first guy with a chance for a clean kill takes the bird, no hard feelings. Put em in the dirt and find another is our motto. I have found after years of this method the kills seem to even out among us, one year I'm hot, the next year one of the other guys are. Yet I can promise you when it's your down year you better have thick skin, because there will be some ribbing.

My buddy was going through one of "those" seasons this year and he made the comment, I bet you could kill a bird with your pants pulled down this year". Huummm, well there was this morning i had just called from the ridge and one of those "man i got to go urges hit me". So over the bank i went and wouldn't you know 100 yards away I hear this hen call and I'm wondering is it a hunter or a hen. Actually I was nervous that my white underwear might attract attention, but when i looked towards the call here comes a hen full bore, and what does she have in tow...yup a gobbler. Now imagine trying to wipe, pull up your pants, reach for your gun and hide before they get to you...it had to be hilarious! No, I got busted before I could pull it off, but it would of made a great jab at my buddy and a new event in my turkey stories. Oh yeah, to stay on topic the gobbler got to 50 yards before spooking, but there was no way I was taking an off balance long shot.  Besides the recoil might of set me right back into my own mess!  Now top that one anybody?

Are we having fun yet?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 7th, 2009, 4:15 am

[8|],,,,,can't

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 7th, 2009, 4:30 am

Dana I will say I've had birds gobbling at in opportune times which does put rush on things and a certain  amount of panic. I have some stories but I think I've embarrssed myself enough in another post about "Hunting Todat versus Yesterday ". 

You did make me think of an occurrence while deer hunting years ago.

I hunted in a river swamp where we had plenty of wild hogs. I hunted way back and had quite the walk to my spot and back and it had been really cold when I went in.

Coming out around noon it had warmed up and after crossing a slough and getting back to the logging road I wanted to get rid of some layers of clothing to avoid getting too hot before I made the long walk out.

WEll you've got to take your rubber boots off  to get everything else off and I had removed thermals and everything else and was down to underwear and  socks  when a big boar steps out into the road about 100 yards away.

It was after the rut and I wanted another big pig sbut he stepped off the road before I could grab my gun so I took off after him. I kept stalking him for a while and had trouble getting close enough for a clear shot.

After a while and about 300-400 yards later I looked down and realized I was running around mostly naked with a gun and if anyone saw me it would likely freak them out. I just got caught up in the moment. One of those moments you're glad no one else is around

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » June 7th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Bobby,

You are hysterical!

That must have been quite a sight!

Like I said before, I have never been in a situation where I have ever had to shoot beyond 30 yards.

Now my next statement is preference, and strictly how I hunt, and is not ever meant to judge anyone here.

I feel turkey hunting in it's purest form, is to call the bird as close as you can before dispatching him. I feel that a bird in the 25-30 range is perfect.

Now, that being said, I have never had to make that judgement call on a distance shot at a bird.

I know I have been hunting turkeys only a short time, but it's not the ethics of the long shot, I just love to get them in close.

If there are guys here who know what their gun/choke/load combo does out to 50-60 yards, and they feel comfortable w/ that, more power to them.

I won't ever judge another hunter, as long as they respect my feelings on how I hunt.

Just my opinion.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

matchbook454

Postby matchbook454 » June 7th, 2009, 5:22 pm

I took 3 birds this year.  One at 15 yards, one at 35 and one at 47.  I've patterned my gun out to 50 yards and feel comfortable shooting out to 50 yards.  I even loaned my gun to a close friend of mine who took a big tom at 50 yards that hung up and wouldn't come closer.  All birds flopped over dead!  I think that your gun and set up should be your determining factor on your range as well as your shooting ability.  If your gun puts good patterns out to 60 yards and you shoot well enough to do so, why not take the shot if a bird hangs up on you?  I'm sure we'd all like to see them on the backs of our decoys but sometimes that's just not going to happen.

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting