Poll: No Shooting Beyond 40 Yards

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
eggshell

RE: Poll: No Shooting Beyond 40 Yards

Postby eggshell » June 25th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Me and Bubba only got one rule, well maybe two

1> You aint kiullin notin if you aint puttin shot in the air

2> If you can see him you can hit him, it's worth a chance

Then there's the cover rule.....Coyotes gotta eat too

(I hope you noticed the sarcasm font is on)

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 23rd, 2009, 4:52 am

First, I am an old fashioned style turkey hunter. I don't use decoys -- and kinda have a thing against them because they totally change the way a bird acts. Personally, I think it just wont a pode a be dat way.

Secondly, the "magic" 40 yd number was one that was developed based on the capabilities of guns/ammo back in the day. Had today's guns and ammo been available, 50 yds would have probably been the "magic" number that everybody used.

Third, I shoot a gun/ammo combo that will cleanly dispatch a turkey at double the traditional range, every time, so the 40 yd number is out the window as far as I'm concerned. It just doesn't apply in my case.

So, I have no problems whatsoever shooting beyond 40 yds, if the situation calls for it. If I get up at 3:30 a.m. and call a bird in to 60 yards, and feel the rush I hunt for, I will kill him there and thank the Lord for the opportunity to do it one more time! Unfortunately, my hunting style does not afford me many (any?) 60 yard shots. In fact, I've never killed one past 45 yds, if my memory isn't failing me. I hunt 'em tight, and stay in the woods if I can. But 40 yds is an artificial yardstick as far as I'm concerned.

All that being said, I think 40 yds is actually too far for a lot, perhaps most folks, to be shooting. 30-35 is more like it for folks who are shooting most lead, imo.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » September 23rd, 2009, 9:59 pm

ORIGINAL: hawglips

Third, I shoot a gun/ammo combo that will cleanly dispatch a turkey at double the traditional range, every time, so the 40 yd number is out the window as far as I'm concerned. It just doesn't apply in my case.

TSS is a wunnerful thang, ain't it hawglips?
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 24th, 2009, 3:21 am

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood

TSS is a wunnerful thang, ain't it hawglips?

It is amazing stuff!

swampfox

Postby swampfox » September 24th, 2009, 10:01 am

3 1/2 inch magnum w/ super full choke..I'll shoot out to 50 if he hangs up but not much furthur.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » September 27th, 2009, 8:12 pm

ORIGINAL: Jim Spencer

There have been some great comments on this thread - some not so great ones, too - and as Bobby says, we all think we're right. And we all are, as long as we're legal and deadly at whatever range we like to shoot 'em at....That's the problem we ought to be talking about, guys and gals, not arguing about whether a 25-yard bird is more valuable a trophy than a 40-yarder. If the gun will kill the bird and you feel good about it, whose business is it but yours? 

Jim,

Are you the Jim Spencer that wrote one of the Turkey Hunting Digest books?
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Previous

Return to Shooting