?s about Winchester Extended Range

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
buckdead

?s about Winchester Extended Range

Postby buckdead » September 26th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester Extended Range 3" #6? If so, what kinda numbers in the 10" circle did you get and with what choke? I got a 870 express with a 26" barrel im trying to turn into a turkey killer any help would be appreciated.

allaboutshooting

RE: ?s about Winchester Extended Range

Postby allaboutshooting » September 27th, 2009, 4:24 am

Hey Chad,

First of all, welcome to the T&TH forum. It's a great place with lots of helpful folks who'll share what they know freely with others.

I have shot the Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density shells since they were introduced in 2005. It is a very consistent performer. I regularly shoot the 3" shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot through a variety of shotguns including a Remington 870 Express with a 26" barrel. The choke that delivers the best patterns for me with that gun and shell is the SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=74

A very typical 40 yards pattern will produce 150-160 evenly spaced hits in a 10" circle and the surrounding 20" circle will also have a good even pattern typically. I also recently tested penetration of those pellets at 40+ yards using the Turkey Test Tube and found that penetration (retained energy) was more than sufficient to cleanly kill any turkey in its range.

Again, welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 27th, 2009, 11:25 am

With a Mossberg 500 28" barrel and 3" Win XRHD #6s 1-3/4 oz shells, in a 10" circle at 40 yards I got:

Jellyhead .660 -- 116
Carlson .670 -- 158
Wrights .670 -- 128

buckdead

Postby buckdead » September 27th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Good info guys. Looks like im in luck. I already have a SSX and would be very pleased if i got similair results as Clark. thanks

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 28th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Hey Chad,

The "secret" to high performance with the SSX is that it must be "deep cleaned" prior to being shot. It comes with a very tough preservative in the bore. If that is not removed, it will never shoot to its potential.

I've used various products to remove it. Brake cleaner and a good brass choke tube brush work very well, as does a lacquer thinner soak, followed by a good scrubbing with the brush. When you're through, the bore should shine. If not, it's just not clean.

I now follow-up the cleaning process with Gunzilla BC-10 and use that exclusively after I have the bore shining. It will prevent the build up of carbon or plastic better than anything I've tried.

That choke also shoots better the more it's shot. It has a break in period and you can use any type of shells to break it in, not necessarily turkey loads.

If you've already shot that choke prior to deep cleaning it, it's a little harder to clean but the same process will work. To save some elbow grease, you may want to use that choke tube brush with an electric drill to clean the bore. It helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

buckdead

Postby buckdead » September 28th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info Clark. I bougt the SSX back in the spring and learned the cleaning part the hard way. What do they put in them things? Axle grease? LOL Good grief thats a mess to clean, but its a good choke that performs as good or better as some of the over priced chokes i own.

Return to Shooting