Muzzle loading for turkey

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Steve_In

Muzzle loading for turkey

Postby Steve_In » September 26th, 2009, 8:59 am

I have a few pictures of my muzzle loader and accessories I use for turkey hunting.  The first is what a hunter would have carried back in 1850.  The copper flask is a Dixon from England.  The leather shot flask is not marked.  The dispenser is graduated for 1-1/2, 1-3/4 and 2 oz. by moving the gates.  The caps are CCI but the tins have not changed much in form in almost 200 years.  The shotgun is my Jas. Cooper 10 bore.  All this would be carried in coat pockets or in a bag such as the one hanging above Mr. Cooper.
    The second is what I carry including wads. 

From left to right in loading order are Powder and containers. 
.125" hard card wads for over the powder and to seal the bore.
¼" felt wads lubed with artificial Sperm Whale oil.  I use 3.
Shot and the carriers I use.
Thin over the shot wads.
Caps and cappers.  These are from Flintlocks Inc.
A cork screw and a wad puller.
This all fits in a pocket in my vest.
[ol][/ol]
I also carry needle nose pliers to remove caps, a sling with loops.  In my vehicle I have a range box, range ramrod and cleaning necessaries. 
Also check out my photobucket for full size pics.
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/Steve_In/ML%20Shotgun/

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Dcoleinpa

RE: Muzzle loading for turkey

Postby Dcoleinpa » September 26th, 2009, 10:31 am

that is really cool steve. thanks for posting

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 26th, 2009, 11:21 am

A few more items I use.  The range rods are really a great aid when you are doing a lot of shooting.  One end has a large ball and the other end is drilled and tapped to handle accessories.  The sling is a blessing when hauling the 10 bore all over the country.  The measures are in ounces and Drams.  To get grains you have to multiply drams by 27.5.  If you remember the old boxes of shells they came marked like 3 dr. eqv 1-1/6 #6 2-3/4".  I don't worry to much about grains as I start at equal volumne of powder and shot.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 26th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Hey Steve,

Beautiful! I really appreciate your showing us those historic items. I'm on the other end of that spectrum. I have a modern inline muzzle loader, an Austin & Halleck...that I've never shot. I have all the ingredients but just have not taken the time to begin the process of working up a load or even using some recipes that some of my friends use with that gun.

Maybe your post will inspire me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » September 26th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Steve,

TC said my Hawken bbl was not safe to shoot, do you think I could get it honed out or something and use it as a 20ga bp shotgun?
South Carolina Low Country

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 26th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Dan I would go to Green Mountain barrels and get one of their replacement barrels unless TC makes you a better offer.  There are always several on eBay but you pays your money and takes your chances.  Did TC find any other problems?  What did they say made it unsafe?  I'll guess significant rust in the nipple area.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 26th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Thank you Clark.  I shot an inline one time.  Boy the owner was P.O'ed[:D].  I just can't get interested in the inlines.  When I started ML it was with friend's original Ohio guns.  We even used the old scissors molds.  We clipped the sprues off and rolled them between steel plates.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » September 28th, 2009, 2:57 pm

TC said, "due to corrosion and rust due to obvious owner neglect" they didn't want to touch it (I bought it used and sent it to the factory, so don't yell at me) GM has a bbl for about $200 and TC has one for $180. The question is....1:28, 1:45, or 1:70. I have never ML hunted before and really like the traditional route so i'm leaning towards the 1:70 but am thinking the 1:45 might give me more options because it can shoot the conicals too. Kinda torn here. The woods I hunt are pretty thick so I prob won't have a shot over 100 yards anyway and if I do I will use a 25-06.
South Carolina Low Country

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 29th, 2009, 4:12 am

I have 1-72 in both my .54's.  I load them with 120 grs 2f Goex, ungreased wonder wad, .018 pillow ticking lubed with Wonder Lube around a .530 round ball.  This has worked from 3 to 150 yards.  The 1-48 will shoot patched round ball OK but the TC rifling is shallow and they can be fussy.  It does shoot the TC Maxi bullets great.  The 1-28 is for Saboted bullets.  With the traditional side lock it is hard to justify the additional expense of the sabot rounds.  I have a buddy that was VERY competive with a TC Renegade and TC's 1-66 PRB barrel.  I am partial to Patched round ball.  I have an old caplock with 1-66 / .50 that will shoot just about any load well as long as the powder  is 2f.  I reccomend a steel range rod with a muzzle protector for cleaning and practice.

Supplies
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(zz5x2gbvhxn1sqnariidl3qi))/categories/catList.aspx?catID=2

Return to Shooting