Gun Cleaning

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
glenhunter

Gun Cleaning

Postby glenhunter » September 29th, 2009, 12:29 pm

I just picked up my new Browning BPS Hunter and would like to know how to clean it before I shoot for the first time. Would I just clean the barrel to get the packing gunk out as well as the choke? Thanks in advance.

gh

allaboutshooting

RE: Gun Cleaning

Postby allaboutshooting » September 29th, 2009, 4:00 pm

First of all, congratulations on your new BPS. They are fine guns.

I've found that what you do to a new gun, shotgun or rifle, can influence how it performs during its life.

I recommend that you "deep clean" the bore and that you pull the fire control unit (trigger group) and clean the excess oil that has been put there for shipment. It's also wise to look inside the receiver and wipe it out. Many times manufacturers will put a good bit of oil in/on parts to prevent rust during shipment and storage. That oil will collect "gunk" over time and can cause problems. This cleaning will also help you become familiar with your gun and that's always a good thing.

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 This article may be of some help in cleaning your bore. It's worked very well for hundreds of folks over the years and I hope you find it of benefit as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 30th, 2009, 3:34 am

While you are poking around the inside of the reciever watch out for sharp edges.  Sometimes not all burrs get smoothed out.  Now is a good time to get familar with the disassembly of your gun.  When you go on a trip you may not have the instruction manual or the net to help out.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 6th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Hey Steve,

This past weekend, I won the Still Target Shooting World Championship for Hunter (factory) guns using my son's Browning BPS, Truglo open sights and the SSX Turkey Choke. I shot 3" Hevi-13 shotshells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. There were 29 "hits" in the 3" circle at 40 yards.

Probably more importantly to us as turkey hunters, the pattern was very even and dense in all the 10" circle that surrounds the 3" target. That gun was strictly a factory gun with no alterations of any kind. I wanted to use open sights because that's much more like what most of us use in the field.

You can see a picture of that gun and my targets at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

Thanks,
Clark

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 7th, 2009, 4:05 am

Congraulations Clark!!!  What were the average number of hits in that class?  I have been thing about getting one due to the tang safety.  I shoot left, my son right so that set-up just makes sense.  Please post a better picture of the winning target.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 7th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Hi Clark
CONGRADULATIONS on your win at the still target shoot that is quite impressive. How does it feel to hold a world championship? I think that is just great you are going to give us some pics. and a story on this I hope. The BPS is a shooting machine without a doubt.
Jon
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 7th, 2009, 1:24 pm

That's great Clark ,,,,,,CONGRATS!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 7th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. Here's a picture of the 2 targets that won the world championship.

The target on the left has 29 "hits" in the 3" circle and the one on the right has 20 "hits".

Doris and I went to the shoot with no "seats" for the semi-finals. It's possible to earn seats in the semi-finals by shooting in regional still target shoots but with all the clean up after the storm, we just were not able to go to any. So, we were competing against shooters who already had as many as 20-30 seats already owned. That meant that we needed to shoot very well just to make it to the semi-finals.

It's a very hard shoot! We shoot from 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. each day with a 1 hour break for lunch. There is very little time between squads, just enough (sometimes) to see your previous target.

We shot well on Friday and earned seats in the semi-finals that began at 1:00 P.M. on Saturday. Doris made the "final 4" in the 20 Gauge Open Class and the 20 Gauge Women's Class. She was only 1-2 pellets off the winning scores. I have to add that she shot a stock/factory Remington 870 as her only gun. The winner in the 20 gauge open class shot a highly modified bolt action shotgun and choke.

I made the final 4 in the Hunter Class (unaltered factory guns) using the BPS-Truglo SSX-Truglo Open Sights-Hevi-13 shells.

To win, you must win 2 squads. That can take some time if different shooters win squads. This time I won the first squad and then won the second squad, so that was it.

This is a tough competition. We shoot a lot of 3" turkey loads over a long time. Then you get up and do it again the next day. The accumulative effect of recoil can take a toll on you if you don't find some way to reduce its effect. You are also up and down all day, walking to see your scores and you must stay hydrated in hot and windy conditions.

I enjoy the sport. I've met some fine folks from all over the U.S. that I might not otherwise have met. I'd encourage anyone to give it a try and look for a shoot in your area.

Thanks again,
Clark

I apologize if I've hijacked this post. I realize I should have started a new one. I'll do better.

Return to Shooting