World Championship Target

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

World Championship Target

Postby allaboutshooting » October 7th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Here's a better picture of the World Championship target picture.

Truglo SSX (.643) - Browning BPS 28" Barrel - 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot.

A good bit of the pattern was to the right or my score might have been just a little higher. I have not tried to count the number of hits in the 10" circle but there were a lot in the black section, just below the red circle and in the head of the turkey. The only "thin" spot is the lower left side.

I used open sights and held at 6 O'Clock on the red circle. We had some strong swirling winds at times so some patterns were blown off either left or right.

All of my squad winning scores were over 20 with the exception of 1 and that was an 18. I also had 27s, 26s, 25s, 22s, 21s, and 20s. Some of those would have been much higher if I'd been able to better center my patterns.

Thanks again,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

RE: World Championship Target

Postby Steve_In » October 7th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Nice target, thank you for posting.  From your discription in the other post it sounds like a tough man endurance competion.  I understand the effects of recoil as I competed in ML matches with a .54 hunting rifle that was sighted for 90 grains of 2f.  It took a lot of concentration to fight off the effects of the recoil.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

linda hay

Postby linda hay » October 8th, 2009, 3:18 am

[color=#0033ff size=2]Congrats on your good shooting. Nice job!![:D][/color]

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » October 8th, 2009, 5:07 am

What was the distance? I'm new to turkey hunting so if it is a distance that everybody knows, I'm sorry.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 8th, 2009, 6:18 am

Hey Linda,

Thank you. It was a good time and a good shoot.

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 8th, 2009, 6:24 am

Hey Michael,

We shoot at 40 yards, from the tip of the muzzle, to the target. The red circle is 3" in diameter. We sit on a "low boy" stool and no rest is allowed. It's a position that's very similar to one we'd use in turkey hunting. Only shot that is within the circle and does not touch the outer line of that circle is counted.

In the "Hunter Class", which is what I won, only unaltered factory guns are allowed. (You may use a telescopic sight but I chose to use Truglo open sights because I believe most hunters use either beads or some open sight on their hunting gun.) You must also use a "commercially available" choke tube and I chose the SSX.

My goal this year was to win the Hunter Class. That's the one that is most meaningful to me because anyone can use the same type of gun, choke and shell and have a reasonable expectation of getting the same result as I had at the shoot.

At some point, I'll try to count the pellets in the 10" circle to see how many hits there were.

Thanks again,
Clark

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » October 26th, 2009, 8:11 am

Nice target Clark. Congrats!

I was wondering if you knew what choke and shell took the 20ga division?

CB

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 27th, 2009, 5:28 am

Thank you. There were 3 shotshells offered for the 20 gauge classes this year, Hevi-13 with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot, Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density with 1.125 oz. of  #5 shot and Remington Wingmaster HD with 1.125 oz. of #6 shot. I saw shooters using all of those shells at one time or another but I'm sure that Hevi-13 was the dominant shell and won that class.

I know that a custom bolt action 20 gauge gun made by Denny Tubbs of Gun Works was used to win the class, as well as the 12 gauge open class but I did not see which choke was used. I supect that it was an Indian Creek since Brian Sloan won but I don't know any details, exit diameter, etc. I'll check to see if that's listed anywhere and let you know what I find out.

Doris was in the final 4 of the 20 gauge open and shot the 20 gauge SSX with a Remington 870 Express with a 26" barrel. I think she was off a pellet from the winner. She shot the same combo in the Women's 20 gauge class as well and again was off a pellet or so.

There was very little difference in the performance of any of the 20 gauge guns/chokes. We did not see any high scores in that class.

Thanks,
Clark

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 16th, 2009, 6:45 am

I would hate to be a grown gobbler around you, Clark.  Nice shootin'

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 16th, 2009, 7:48 am

Hey Jim,

Thank you. I just don't get to spend as much time in the turkey woods as I'd like but none of us do, right?

Thanks again,
Clark

Return to Shooting