New duck & goose shell...turkey loads?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

New duck & goose shell...turkey loads?

Postby allaboutshooting » November 16th, 2009, 5:37 am

Remington just announced the introduction of a radical new wad for its waterfowl loads. You can read a little bit about it at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=342

Can higher speed turkey loads be far behind?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

RE: New duck & goose shell...turkey loads?

Postby Cut N Run » November 16th, 2009, 6:41 am

That is pretty interesting stuff, Clark.

I wonder about 1,700 f.p.s. and shot performance? I remember reading that spherical projectiles tend to fly erratically when they are pushed over ~1,300 f.p.s. (unless it is a single projectile that has a spin imparted in it like a patched round ball from a muzzleloader). Otherwise, the pattern would tend to open up, or there would be a lot of "flyers".

The thing I wonder about is the possibility of improving the range of shot by having it formed with dimples similar to a golfball.  I even saw something on the Mythbusters TV program about how much more distance a dimpled ball gets over a smooth ball because of less drag (something like 30%!).  I can't imagine how to get small shot dimpled, but science proves it would have increased distance.  Something to keep those ammunition manufacturing engineers in a job I suppose...

Jim

edited for spelling...Doh!
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 16th, 2009, 7:52 am

Hey Jim,

You certainly raise some excellent points. I don't know how they keep that shot payload together. I'd guess they'll have some of those to shoot at the SHOT show and maybe have more answers to those questions you bring up, we'll see.

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 18th, 2009, 5:56 am

Hey Jim,

I went back to the information about that shell/wad and believe that "an answer" to part of your question is contained there.  If you would, take a look at the article http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=342

The 4th paragraph talks about how the wad is "self-slitting". I'm not certain when those "stress concentrators" cause the wad to self-slit but I believe until that happens, that's what holds the shot charge together and perhaps, gives it enough time to stabilize.

I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Thanks,
Clark

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 18th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Given the weights of the shot load in that article, they must be talking about steel shot. Steel deforms less than the buffered, plated lead shot I usually shoot. I have never shot heavier-than-lead shells, so I can't comment on performance of such (I've always been scared it might mess up my barrel). Still,at higher velocities, it seems to me like shot might not hold together well after it leaves the shot cup.  By the time the shot & cup have separated, it may not matter much.  Those Federal flite-control wads certainly help hold a pattern together, especially out of an older fixed choke shotgun...but they are not pushing over that ~1,300 f.p.s. number either. There has to be a reason for it.

There is a physics/ ballistics question here that I don't know the answer to.  Perhaps the good people at Remington can enlighten me. I don't know anybody over there to ask, but I'm sure they have an "FAQ" section on their website.  If I find anything earth-shattering from them, I'll post it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Shooting