Browning Maxus & The SHOT Show

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Browning Maxus & The SHOT Show

Postby allaboutshooting » January 21st, 2009, 4:22 pm

I just returned from the SHOT Show in Orlando where I was invited to attend the Media Day, the day before the show began. That allowed me to see and shoot new products for 2009.

Primarily, I was interested in the new Browning Maxus http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=245 as were most of the writers there. I was able to spend a little over 2 hours examining and shooting that gun with a variety of shotshells.

It's a very good gun. It shoulders quickly and points naturally. It's very quick and recoil is low for such a light shotgun. I attribute a lot of that to the new Inflex Technology recoil pad. That pad replaces the Pachmayr pad on the 2009 SX3 and at least in my opinion, is far superior.

I was also able to meet and "pick the brain" of the design engineer for the Maxus. He also designed the Winchester SX3 and we compared some of the features and benefits of both guns. I plan to publish an article on the Maxus and other products that I was able to try/see at the SHOT show in the next several weeks at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

There will be no "turkey specific" Maxus for 2009. They will offer a "Duck Blind Camo"  model and a "Black" model this year. They plan to offer a model with a drilled and tapped receiver and some, as yet undecided or announced "turkey" camo in 2010.

The Maxus should be available in the late spring of 2009. It's quite a gun and if you're looking for a new auto loader, it's certainly one to consider.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

RE: Browning Maxus & The SHOT Show

Postby Turkeybuster » January 21st, 2009, 5:41 pm

HEY CLARK

Good to have you back!
I have a question that maybe you could answer,why are the manufactures produceing these fine
shotguns for turkey and duck and goose hunting and putting very flimsy ribs on them?
The rib on a shotgun is subject to a lot of abuse, I have straightened many of them and they seem to
be getting lighter.
It happens a lot in sporting clays also when you are shooting a tight incomer and you hit the top of the cage with the rib.
This is one good point on the x2 it has a very sturdy rib and posts.

Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 21st, 2009, 6:04 pm

Hey Jon,

Thanks. It's very good to be back home. It was a long trip and almost too much to see and try to absorb.

It seems that the current trend in many shotguns is to make them as light as possible. As you know, we seem to go through these trends of shorter barrels, longer barrels, lighter guns, etc.

I have certainly hit cages with my guns in sporting clays. I don't recall ever bending or denting a rib but that's just luck on my part.

Personally, weight is not so important to me as balance or weight distribution. I like a gun to balance in my hand and be easy to carry.

The trend on ribs in the Browniing/Winchester line seems to integral ribs with single beads. The one on my SX3 seems to be pretty sturdy as well. I've been using it since September of 2007 and so far at least, no dents.

Thanks,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 22nd, 2009, 3:55 am

MORNIN CLARK

Thanks for your input on ribs,the reason I ask I just looked at a Browning Gold Stalker and the rib was
very thin.
Remington is also known to have thin soft ribs and barrels.
You are right in the fact that we are now in a new trend towards lighter guns and with that problems.
If you are a occasional shooter that is ok but if you are a hard hunter and shooter there will be problems.
Shooting sporting clays competition my son and I averaged 50,000 rounds a year in our Browning citori's and never had malfunctions or had to replace any parts and this went on for a period of 4yrs.
Talk about tough guns there it but there were some rib dings.
I might get a look at the Maxus in a week or two at the Harrisburg sports show Browning will be there.
Looking forward to your review on the Maxus.

Turkeybuster

ceshuff

Postby ceshuff » November 24th, 2009, 12:50 pm

"They plan to offer a model with a drilled and tapped receiver and some, as yet undecided or announced "turkey" camo in 2010."

Not according to customer service rep. when I called to discuss/confirm above posting; maybe rep was misinformed but when asked, the reply was "no new changes for 2010."

hopefully someone out there may some insight, 'cause this gun with a nice red dot would be perfect IMO

Gun-tests.com will be doing head-to-head eval---Maxus vs. SBE II Dec '09 or Jan '10

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 25th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the info. ceshuff.
Jon
Turkeybuster

ceshuff

Postby ceshuff » November 25th, 2009, 5:42 pm

FYI,

Gun Tests' review of new Maxus vs. SBEII is out

very favorable on maxus' side with there rating as "A" and "our pick"

SBEII received "A-"

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 26th, 2009, 3:40 pm

It will be interesting to see what 2010 brings.  We've seen some great new guns in the last couple of years. I expect that we'll see some more at the SHOT Show in January. We'll see.

Thanks,
Clark 

Return to Shooting