Remington Ultimate Home Defense Shotshells

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Remington Ultimate Home Defense Shotshells

Postby allaboutshooting » September 24th, 2009, 4:26 pm

I will soon be testing the new Remington Ultimate Home Defense shotshells. I have both the "BB" and the "2x4" loads.

Mainly, I'll be testing for penetration but I will also look at patterns at realistic home defense distances. I plan to test against some more traditional shotshell loads like 00 buck as well.

If you're not familiar with these new loads, you can visit http://www.allaboutshooting.com and read more about them.

If you have any ideas for these tests or "special requests", just let me know.

It's raining a lot here now but when the weather clears, I'll be at the range to see how these shells work and will publish a link to my "Product Test" article here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

RE: Remington Ultimate Home Defense

Postby Turkeybuster » September 24th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Clark
Keep us posted your test results are always informative.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Try it on 2 pieces of sheetrock seperated by 2x4's.  My main concern with defense loads is over penetration.  I would rather blast a load of #8 than send a slug who knows where.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 25th, 2009, 5:04 am

Hey Jon,

Thank you for the kind words. I'll start my tests as soon as possible and the weather allows me to get out. Please let me know if you have an specific requests or suggestions. I want these tests to reflect what folks are actually using in their home defense guns.

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 25th, 2009, 5:07 am

Hey Steve,

Thank you for the recommendation. I share your concern about over penetration. From my conversations with the folks at Remington, that's one reason for the development of these shells. The balance of knock down power and reduced penetration is a challenge.

I'll use drywall and some other common materials that any "stray" pellets might encounter. Any other suggestions or requests are welcome.

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 12th, 2009, 12:03 pm

I'm doing a good bit of work on penetration for my tests of various "home defense" shotshells. I've been speaking with and consulting with folks from various parts of the world to see what has been done in this field previously.

Here is an amazing piece of video created by Werner Mehl, a noted German engineer who created the PVM-21 infrared chronograph. His cameras can capture bullets and shot in flight in amazing detail. You can actually watch a bullet spin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg&feature=player_embedded
It's a little long but well worth watching the entire clip.

I think that you will especially enjoy seeing the very last portion that shows some shot strings.

I hope you find it both entertaining and informative.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

RE: Remington Ultimate Home Defense Shotshells

Postby allaboutshooting » November 12th, 2009, 3:42 pm

I have completed the first phase of my tests of "Home Defense" shotshells. It became evident pretty quickly that this subject would need to be divided into segments due to the number of possible shells used and the various media that could/should be used for tests.

You can read "Part 1" of these tests athttp://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=340http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=340

I documented all of these tests with photographs of the "targets". One problem that I've encountered is that if I include the photographs with the text of the article, it will preclude some readers who do not have broadband Internet service from downloading it.

I am working on a solution to that problem and as soon as possible I will provide access to those pictures for those interested in seeing them.

I hope you find this article interesting and informative. I welcome your comments.

Thanks,
Clark

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » November 13th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Clark,

Have you tested penetration after the projectile(s) have penetrated a heavy coat, or a denim jacket?

You often have to penetrate a hand, an arm (with a jacket sleeve over it), then the jacket before your round gets to the bad guy.  It's all trade-offs.  If you keep a home defense round it should be able to penetrate a heavy jacket and then 10 to 12 more inches of bad guy.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 14th, 2009, 5:00 am

Hey Ralph,

It's good to hear from you. A direct answer to your question first. I have completed some of those clothing and "other barrier" tests but not all. There is more to come.

You've brought out one of the real challenges of testing.

Prior to these tests, I reviewed the F.B.I. Technical Evaluation Plan (T.E.P.) and had to make some decisions as to how many of those tests I would use and/or how I would modify them to allow for some fair comparisons of the various loads.

For example I chose to eliminate some of the tests and only picked one distance, 15 feet, for all of my testing.

Penetration tests have traditionally used ballistic gelatin and the T.E.P. states, as you've pointed out, that "...it's desirable for a projectile to penetrate 12" but less than 18". That includes the tests that  hang both "Heavy Clothing" and "Light Clothing" (their definitions) over the gelatin blocks. The T.E.P. requires those tests to be performed at both 10 feet and 20 feet as well.

Ballistic gelatin, as you know, becomes very unstable at temperatures above 39 degrees, so that medium is not really practical for me to use. Since I have access to microcrystalliine wax and it's much more stable, I elected to use it. One inch of penetration of microcrystalline wax is equal to roughly 1.32 inches of ballistic gelatin, so in my tests, the 6 inches of penetration of wax are equal to roughly 8 inches in ballistic gelatin.

There are other home defense loads that I am in the process of testing and some "other barrier" tests as well.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Clark

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » November 17th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Clark,

I'm assuming (I know...I know) you chose 15' because it's the average of 10' & 20'.  I'd like to see the results of the ammunition at 10'.  Most rooms, save the living room and the master bedroom are at best 10x15 feet.  To get a true 15' shot, the perp and the home owner would have to each be at the absolute end of a 20' room, and even then, the distance would actually be the 15' you're testing.

If I remember my stats correctly, the average distance between combatants in a gun fight is under 10' and 2.3 shots are fired.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Next

Return to Shooting