Prolix - Has anyone heard of it?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Prolix - Has anyone heard of it?

Postby allaboutshooting » December 15th, 2009, 5:42 am

I'm always looking for something that will make the process of cleaning my guns easier and for a product that will truly "clean, lubricate and protect" (CLP).  Toward that end, I recently completed a "Product Test" of  Prolix Total Gun Care Product. It turns out that it's been around for 23 years but I'd never heard of it.

Has anyone else heard of it or used it?

You can read my review at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=354

I hope you find the article interesting and informative.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

nhtrkybstr

RE: Prolix - Has anyone heard of it?

Postby nhtrkybstr » December 15th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Excellent article Clark!

Very informative article. Thanks for testing it and posting it on the forum!
I'll have to look into it for my gun cleaning needs!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 15th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Hey Mike,

Thank you for the kind words. I try to test as many products as I can so folks can have some idea how they work before spending their hard earned money.

This seems like a very good one. I'm just really surprised that I'd never encountered it until now. Anything that can cut through cosmolene is great as far as I'm concerned. When it can do that without being dangerous, that's even better.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » December 20th, 2009, 5:22 pm

ORIGINAL: allaboutshooting
Anything that can cut through cosmolene is great as far as I'm concerned. When it can do that without being dangerous, that's even better.

Thanks again,
Clark

Yeah, no kidding!  The only way I could ever get the Cosmoline off of the guns in the "Great SKS Import" was to lay disassembled firearm in a long plastic tub and pour gasoline over the firearm.  I'd come back about 2 hours later and the Cosmoline was dissolved into solution by the gasoline.  That method even got most of the Cosmoline out of the stock.  The first time I tried to get that goo off of an SKS, I wasted 2 cans of Gunscrubber.  That stuff did no more good than a high-pressure water hose would have done; it moved the Cosmoline around, but it didn't get any off, it just moved it around.  That's when I got the gasoline and a toothbrush out and the Cosmoline started dissolving.

But, to put a point on Clark's general admonition about the use of dangerous methods I have a short tale.  First, my Dad taught me the dangers of gasoline before I could walk it seemed.  My Dad is a retired Mechanical Engineer, but he was also a handyman.  There's nothing, given enough time that he could not fix.  As a result, he had a shop and a LOT of gasoline, kerosene and other solvents around in abundant quantities.
My friend was not blessed with such an upbringing.   He had a large wooded back yard wherin he had cleared an area about 50'x50'.  He cut a bunch of brush one day, and added to the dry pile he already had.  He set out to burn said pile with a gallon of gasoline.  Picture the morning; it was damp, no wind, and he and that brush pile were basically in an enclosed area.  Unaware that gasoline fumes are heavier than air, he poured the gallon of gas on the brush pile then went inside to let it soak in.  Well, you guessed it, the fumes basically filled that 50'x50' area.  When he walked up to the brush pile and threw the lit match all those accumulated fumes ignited.   He said all he could see was fire.  He really thought that he was going to burn to death.  Luckily, the initially "WHOMP" when the fumes ignited didn't kill him.  Now he knows about gasoline.

I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Return to Shooting