shot vs. choke vs. barrel

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
capnrock

shot vs. choke vs. barrel

Postby capnrock » December 23rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

I have a Mossberg 835 tactical 20" barrel.  My choke is the one it came with, an ultifull .695.  Could someone with experience advise me on an excellent shot choice that patterns well with above mentioned choke?  No steel shot recommendations please.  Thanks

capnrock

RE: shot vs. choke vs. barrel

Postby capnrock » December 23rd, 2009, 11:04 pm

I originally had an old Winchester and shot 2oz, 3" shells.  I believe they were XX magnum or Supremes(maybe both).  On the above mentioned post I plan on shooting 3in by the way.  The Mossberg is a new shotgun for me and I am open for any and all advice.  I have always shot lead in the past.  I am also not familiar with Hevi-shot.  I apologize for my ignorance, I have always just stucked with what worked in the past. 

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » December 24th, 2009, 4:57 am

Buddy has the same gun and was not impressed with the factory tube. He bought a Pure Gold 670 via my recommendation and the patterns have been very very impressive with both H 13 and Nitro straight 7s..

www.gameacc.net

capnrock

Postby capnrock » December 24th, 2009, 6:58 am

Alrighty. Thanks turkes.  Will check into a Pure Gold.  I am guessing that the 695 vs the 670 would be that the smaller the number the tighter the pattern?  So the 670 would be tighter than the x-factor tube I have.  How "tight" of a choke can you go before "damaging" the barrel? 

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 24th, 2009, 8:12 am

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to T&TH, if I've not already done that.

I like the SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=75
it's a premium quality turkey choke, rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot but priced very reasonably.
That's what I shoot in my 835, 935 and SSI-One.

I shoot a variety of shotshells but only 3" shells since they do all that's necessary in my guns. I like 3" Winchester HV (Black Shells) with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead, 3" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot and 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot.

Which ever choke or shell you choose, I'd really recommend that you "deep clean" your barrel. It will help patterns very much. Here's an article with some guidelines that you may find to be helpful
http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » December 24th, 2009, 2:14 pm

ORIGINAL: capnrock

Alrighty. Thanks turkes.  Will check into a Pure Gold.  I am guessing that the 695 vs the 670 would be that the smaller the number the tighter the pattern?  So the 670 would be tighter than the x-factor tube I have.  How "tight" of a choke can you go before "damaging" the barrel? 
Smaller the number the tighter the pattern?? Thats kind of a loaded question, in theory yes, but not always true. It depends on the particular shell in question as well as a host of other factors. But you can be pretty much assured that the Pure Gold is going to throw a tighter pattern with quality ammo than your factory choke.

The PG comes with a money back guarantee and Bill will help you as much as he can to get your gun shooting how you want it too.

670 in your overbored mossy is as tight a choke as I believe they make for that gun, maybe I am wrong.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 24th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Excellent answer about the choke exit diameter!

In my experience, a .670 choke seems to work best in the Mossberg 835/935/SSI-One barrels.

Several years ago, I had chokes made for that barrel in .005 increments, up to .690 and down to .640 and bought every choke brand I could find in whatever size(s) they made for that gun. I shot a lot of shells both lead and tungsten-based. The .670 consistently worked best, regardless of brand.

I kept the .640, a CNC, and it works very well for card shoots.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting