Remington or Benelli or ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
jwilliams92

Remington or Benelli or ?

Postby jwilliams92 » December 17th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I have read most of the post relating to this topic, however my questions were not quite answered. This will be my first turkey gun, but I trying to have around a $600 budget. I have narrowed it down to two choices and looking for any other suggestions. First the Rem 870 SPS Shur shot trukey. Is the hy-bird stock really as good as suggested or any pistol grip style stock for that matter. Also it has the new recoil pad. Second the Benelli Supernova turkey with comfortech. This is the model with the traditional looking stock. I am familiar with 870's for I carry one everyday I work. I guess what I am looking for is any pros, cons, and owners thoughts. Also any other gun ideas are welcome. Thanks everyone

allaboutshooting

RE: Remington or Benelli or ?

Postby allaboutshooting » December 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Hey Jason,

If I have not done so before, welcome to the T&TH forum. It's a good, friendly place with helpful folks who'll gladly share information with you.

I own both of those guns and shoot both of them on a pretty regular basis.

I installed 2 of the ShurShot stocks on 2 of my guns and like them. They are lighter than the synthetic stocks that were on my guns. They have a somewhat shorter LOP but a Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad fits perfectly over the new SuperCell recoil pad and adds the .25" that I need.

You can really pull that stock into your shoulder pocket and hold it much steadier than the traditional stock. I prefer it to any thumbhole stock I've tried because there's no slamming my thumb in those too small holes of the thumbhole stocks. I do believe the SuperCell pad is better than the pad it replaced but I still like the SF over it, just as I do with every gun I shoot.

I bought the first Nova and still have it. The difference of course in the Super Nova and the Nova is that the stock can be removed from the receiver of the SN. Now with the Comfortech stock, it shares some similarity to the SBE in that respect. That stock helped the SBEII and also helps the Super Nova. It still kicks however and I use the SF on it as well.

It takes a bit more time to break-in the SN than the 870, in my experience. It also has the 3.5" chamber standard, like the Super Magnum 870, if that's an advantage to you.

I like the SN for a waterfowl gun or even an upland gun but prefer the 870 for turkey hunting. The main reason for that it pretty simple. Once your SN is broken-in, the forend wants to slide backward from the recoil of your shot. That's a good thing perhaps for wing shooting but it's not too good for the type of shooting we do at turkeys. It can easily cause a miss.

I've watched shooters fire a Nova/Super Nova at still target shoots and have seen this happen quite often. The muzzle will rise at just the wrong time and cause a high shot. To counter this, you must put forward pressure on the forend and that's just not conducive to good shooting, at least in my experience.

My vote is for the 870 for that reason and also due to the many other "add-on" products made for the 870.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

jwilliams92

Postby jwilliams92 » December 17th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Thanks Clark. And by the way the best response from any forum I am a member of to this date.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » December 18th, 2009, 11:14 am

Clark gave you an excellent explaination Jason. When it comes to guns, he is as top notch as they come.

Let me throw a couple of other guns out there. The mossberg 535 and 835 in tactical turkey.
I own the 535 model, and even though she kicks fairly hard, the short barrel is good when manuvering into tight spots, and having to swing on a bird.
I also have mine scoped, which takes alot of the sting out of the backend of her! Alot of guys are not big on scoping their shotguns, but I have been a scope shooter all my life, and it works well for me.
I know alot of guys that own the 835 and love them. The other advantage is the telescoping stock and pistol grip which allow a quicker target aquisition in my opinion.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 18th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Thank you Jason.

Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 18th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Thank you Mike.

Clark

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » December 18th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Your welcome Clark!
I meant every word. Your gun knowledge is top notch!
I  especially enjoy reading your articles that incorporate different shell/choke combos!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 19th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Thank you. There should be a good number of them next year. Several new turkey loads are set for their "debut" next year, as well as some new turkey chokes.

There are also several new "home defense" shells that will make their way to market. Some of those I already have and some will be here in just a few weeks.

January and February are very busy months but I hope to be here as much as I can. I really enjoy the friendly atmosphere here.

Thanks,
Clark

TreeTrunkNarcoleptic

Postby TreeTrunkNarcoleptic » December 25th, 2009, 6:09 am

I have the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with the thumbhole grip and I like it alot.  I've seen numerous discussions here and on other hunting forums debating which is better, Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag / Remington 870 Express and I still don't know.  The 835 is heavier, but I like the short barrel and the comfortable grip.  I'm also not sure you'll find a gun that patterns better at long range.    .....You might possibly, I'm just not sure.  It seems there is much to be considered with all the different loads that are out there.

"You can't grill it 'till you kill it."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 4th, 2010, 5:56 am

Hi jason! And welcome to the forum!

If it's guns or ammo your wanting to know about you can't get much better then Clark! He has helped many a hunter on here. I shoot a Stoger 2000 semi-auto 12 guage. Outfitted with Tri-Viz sites a good recoil pad, and a good choke tube.  I love the gun! everyone is different when it comes to what they are comfortable with. Only advice I can give you is to find a gun that you are comfortable and confident with. Then find the right shot shell, choke combination that works for you and your gun.

Good luck!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Next

Return to Shooting