Want a new dedicated turkey shotgun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
notsure

Want a new dedicated turkey shotgun

Postby notsure » April 26th, 2014, 7:21 pm

I have used my 24 year old Remington 870 pursuing deer, turkeys, pheasants, grouse, geese, etc since my mom gave it to me as a Christmas present when I was 18. It's been a real trooper, but it is a looong gun (28" barrel combined with a thick recoil reducing pad) and not well suited for hunting out of a blind. I could go out and purchase a replacement barrel for the gun, but why do that when you can add to your personal firearms collection! So, I'm likely going to stick with a pump action shotgun (familiarity, price, reliability) and am considering the Benelli Nova (24" w/pistol grip stock), Remington 887 Nitro Mag Camo Combo or a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag (Thug model w/pistol grip). Comments, criticisms and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve_In

Re: Want a new dedicated turkey shotgun

Postby Steve_In » April 27th, 2014, 9:43 am

All Mossbergs come ported. That might be a consideration if you hunt with others. Really you are not shortening up that much with a 24" barrel. Have you considered an over-under or SxS? you would loose about 6" of length in the action alone plus whatever you shorten the barrels. You would also be able to select chokes for close or far work. Just a thought.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » April 28th, 2014, 7:18 am

I would cancel out the 887 immediately have seen really nothing positive about them, the Nova is a good gun but the bore is small in diameter.. The 835 is a fantastic gun and the pistol grip is a huge plus as it is so comfortable and reduces recoil by displacing it in two areas... The 835 tends to out pattern everything but they kick like a mule.. Another gun I would take a look at is the Win SXP..

notsure

Postby notsure » April 29th, 2014, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. The O/U idea is interesting Steve, and for one season, I hunted turkeys with a Beretta 686. But I'm looking for something that I can mount a scope on, and regulating a double barrel shotgun can be painful. Icdedturkes...The Remington 887 doesn't seem to get a lot of respect here or at other forums, although I imagine if Remington sticks with this model, they will eventually work out the "kinks". However, I'm not one for beta-testing when I can avoid it. Most people do seem to give high praise to the SuperNova and the Mossberg 835, although as Steve pointed out, the 835 is ported and that can be an issue hunting out of a blind. Well, my hunt was over last week, and since I only hunt turkeys in MN and you can only kill one bird in the state, I have nearly a year to make a decision! Again, thanks for your thoughts.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 11th, 2014, 7:02 am

I have the mossberg 935 turkey model and love it :) :)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 12th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I would look at the Rem. SPS or the Express Mag. both are very dependable guns. The Moss. 535 and 835 will also fit your bill. The Rem. have a little less recoil then the Moss. does. I shoot an SPS and have shot it one handed with the forearm sitting on my knees.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

notsure

Postby notsure » May 12th, 2014, 9:49 pm

So, although I was dead set on picking up a pump gun to replace my 870, I ended up buying a Mossberg 935. I found a new pistol grip model for sale over at gunsamerica.com (Elk County Ammo and Arms) and the price was right. Well, after taking the gun home, I noticed the buttstock was cracked and gouged in several places on top of the comb. So, I contacted Mossberg and they emailed me a shipping label in order to return the stock. Meanwhile, the weaver scope base and replacement charging handle that I had previously ordered arrived, so I decided to strip the gun down, clean off the factory gunk and install the new parts. That's when I noticed the forend cap swivel stud somehow made it out of the Mossberg factory without being drilled! Mossberg said they will replace the cap, but come on! Damage to the buttstock could have occurred during shipping, although given that the box was in great shape, I have my doubts. I informed Elk County Ammo and Arms (for whatever that's worth) and I'm sure Mossberg will make it right. This is my first Mossberg so I'll chock this experience up to a random set of bad circumstances. However, I don't think I will buy a gun sight-unseen again.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 14th, 2014, 2:21 pm

My experience with mossberg has been great. I purchased the 935 turkey gun the first year they made it. After a couple years I went to put a red dot on it and found that it was not tapped for a scope mount. I contacted mossberg and they had me ship the gun to them and they put a whole new receiver on it. $70.00 shipping included. Have had a couple of the shot guns and have dealt with the service dept. several times and was happily treated. Wish I could say the same for Remington. :mrgreen:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Shooting