Turkey Gun Question

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
wfolds

Turkey Gun Question

Postby wfolds » March 31st, 2014, 6:15 pm

Ok now that I have the bug (real bad) the question I now have is do I need to purchase a "Turkey Gun"? My first bird was killed with my Benelli SuperSport that I was using for sporting clays. I have the opportunity to pick up a Benelli SuperNova Max 4 for $330.00 plus shipping. My question is am I being stupid to think I need a Turkey Gun or do I keep using my SuperSport that did the job?

retranger

Re: Turkey Gun Question

Postby retranger » March 31st, 2014, 7:39 pm

All your preference!!! Do you need camo to turkey hunt????? No but everyone buys it. You all ready got a bird with it, if you are happy with it stay with it. ;) ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

shaman

Postby shaman » April 1st, 2014, 5:28 am

I had a general purpose shotgun that was used for turkey hunting for a number of years before I got myself a dedicated turkey gun.

When I did get a turkey gun, it was cheap. I got a Mossberg 500 pump out of the scratch and dent bin at Dicks. It wears a coat of spray paint.

See Bubba Paints his Turkey Gun

The reason I like my turkey gun is that it gets hard use, it gets out in the elements. It is a shotgun I don't mind treating that way. It only has to fire a couple of shots all season, so I really do not demand a lot of its action. I don't cry when it gets a scratch. If the scratch is too big, I just get out the can of Krylon.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » April 1st, 2014, 6:47 am

shaman wrote:
The reason I like my turkey gun is that it gets hard use, it gets out in the elements. It is a shotgun I don't mind treating that way. It only has to fire a couple of shots all season, so I really do not demand a lot of its action. I don't cry when it gets a scratch. If the scratch is too big, I just get out the can of Krylon.

Exactly.. My little black 870 20 gauge is camo'd with orange dots, its got streaks down the barrel from crawling over rocks, the butt stock has old blood stains..

Your SuperSport would work just fine, but if you are partial to keeping it pretty, buy the other gun if it is within your financial realm.

wfolds

Postby wfolds » April 1st, 2014, 6:52 pm

Thanks guys. The only thing about my SuperSport is the 28" barrel and not being able to sling it. icdedturkes - I understand your comment about people wanting to keep their shotguns pretty, I have shot sporting clays with guys that had that attitude about their guns. I bought it to shoot, like the reliability and like the way it feels. I think if it gets a few nicks on it they are like a badge of honor.

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » April 3rd, 2014, 12:46 am

The first year I hunted I used a borrowed 870 pump with a 30 inch barrel :cry: . What a beast to carry up and down the steep ridges that I usually hunt. Absolutely pick up a turkey gun.Shorter barrel length is better for carrying and positioning. I like a pump gun with a thumb safety so you can easily shoot lefty or righty.
12 guage 3 inch works for me!I have a Browning BPS that I had dipped in camo, now I don't worry nicks and
scratches on the wood and it makes it almost rainproof too :D good luck and good hunting joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

wfolds

Postby wfolds » May 31st, 2014, 3:39 pm

The only real issue with the SuperSport is the silver receiver. Part of me says that it didn't matter to the one I shot the other part says I need to either wrap it or have it painted. Thoughts

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 2nd, 2014, 6:53 pm

If it was me I would either wrap it, dip it, or spray paint it. It all comes down to how you would like it.
Is it turkey season yet?

wfolds

Postby wfolds » June 21st, 2014, 3:05 pm

Decided to have my SuperSport painted with Cerakote. Color is Midnight Blue and I think it came out nice.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 23rd, 2014, 7:10 am

Looks fine ;) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Shooting