Longbeard XR Fouling

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
charlie elk

Longbeard XR Fouling

Postby charlie elk » March 27th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I've shot several rounds from the M2 Benelli. They pattern well so decided to give them a try afield this spring. But then, I found they are very dirty and the gun needs cleaning more frequently.
After shooting the first box I set my gun aside and cleaned it a couple of days later. To my surprise it was a lot of work to clean requiring JB solvent, wire brush and a lot of elbow grease. I started berating myself for leaving the gun sit so long from previous use. I usually clean up regularly after shooting. But then-
Then I read on this forum and others about other gun barrels becoming unusually dirty after using this ammo.
So out I went with a very clean gun and shot 3 Longbeard XR s and found the barrel very sooty. Cleaned it immediately, not quite as hard to clean. Shot 3 more shells from a different box, same thing. Fired another patterning round and left the gun overnight without cleaning. (like what happens in turkey camp) It was hard to clean after sitting for 24 hours.
Then I became curious about; if the gun is 1 day fouled, or a fouling shot is fired with the barrel left fouled what happens to the pattern?
After firing one fouling shot and leaving the gun for 2 days then firing a 3 shot pattern test: the pattern was more open at 30 & 40 yds.
If the fouling affects the pattern this much I would think more drag is on the load? Could some shot fail to clear the barrel? Causing a breech rupture?
Anyone else here noticing this? Did I get a bad batch? Or is there something more to be concerned about?
My guns are kept clean but I do not clean my gun between shots while hunting.
The pattern is not that much improved so I'm using my usual shells this spring.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Re: Longbeard XR Fouling

Postby kygobbler » March 27th, 2014, 4:35 pm

As I stated on the other thread I didn't notice any gunk build up, but there may have been a reason for that due to I was shooting Winchester Supremes with it. Maybe the Supremes cleared out some of that stuff. Also, on both of those days I cleaned the gun as soon as I got done shooting.

charlie elk wrote: Shot 3 more shells from a different box, same thing. Fired another patterning round and left the gun overnight without cleaning. (like what happens in turkey camp) It was hard to clean after sitting for 24 hours.

Usually during turkey season my gun will be clean at the start of the season but won't be cleaned again until the season is over, unless I get caught in the rain. So if the build up is bad to clean after 24 hours, I would hate to see how bad it is after 23 days.

Does anyone know if Winchester has made any comment to this problem?
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 27th, 2014, 8:20 pm

I had wondered about that, after learning how those shells are manufactured with a resin holding the shot together. After it's fired that resin would have to start to melt going down the barrel, otherwise it wouldn't separate and form a pattern. With it melting in the barrel would explain a lot of the fouling, and why it's harder to clean after it set for a day?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 28th, 2014, 6:49 am

I did not noticed anything different upon cleaning but than again I clean every shot... Some shells are dirtier some are cleaner.. I shoot A couple cases of Fed Blue Box each fall at fowl and those things are really dirty..

One thing I have found that helps in the fall say after a 100 rounds or more is before cleaning to take a few cheap dove loads and go Bang Bang Bang.. The shells heat up everything inside making cleaning easier.. When I put the solvent and brush to it, it will peel long gooey strips of wad material out..

Return to Shooting