truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
foggobbler
 
Posts: 8
Joined: February 27th, 2014, 8:57 pm

truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby foggobbler » March 10th, 2014, 8:37 pm

i have seen that the ssx tube gets alot of mention in the forum but not the gsx...does the ssx out perform the gsx that much ? sofar i've only found the gsx in local stores for my gun

User avatar
Cut N Run
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Location: central North Carolina

Re: truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby Cut N Run » March 27th, 2014, 8:52 am

I'm not sure why the SSX isn't as readily available in retail stores. I see many more GSX chokes in stores myself.

Here is the chart for the turkey chokes TruGlo sells
http://www.truglo.com/images/choke_tube_chart.pdf

I'm sure that the difference in constriction between the two chokes is why the SSX is so popular. It doesn't hurt that the price on the SSX compared to higher end chokes helps sell a lot of them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

User avatar
kygobbler
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: October 22nd, 2010, 3:49 am
Location: KY

Re: truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby kygobbler » March 27th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Cut N Run wrote:I'm not sure why the SSX isn't as readily available in retail stores. I see many more GSX chokes in stores myself.

Here is the chart for the turkey chokes TruGlo sells
http://www.truglo.com/images/choke_tube_chart.pdf

I'm sure that the difference in constriction between the two chokes is why the SSX is so popular. It doesn't hurt that the price on the SSX compared to higher end chokes helps sell a lot of them.

Jim


I looked at that chart and seen where on my Winchester SX3 the SSX choke is .643 :shock: Man that is a tight choke. Jim if I remember correctly aren't you using the SSX .643? If so, how tight is that bugger at 20 yards? Im almost willing to bet the size of a softball.
Is it turkey season yet?

User avatar
Cut N Run
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Location: central North Carolina

Re: truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby Cut N Run » April 2nd, 2014, 6:39 am

I do shoot that SSX .643 from my SBE II with Hevi 6s or 7s. The pattern is real tight at 20 yards, though having that Burris Speed Bead really helps hold it where I want it. I killed one on Opening Day last year at ~25 yards and only found a couple of pellets in the breast. I tagged my second gobbler on the last day of the season with an 11 yard shot. I had other opportunities during the season, but they were either jakes, or they didn't provide a clear shot.

In all the years I've been turkey hunting, I have never killed a turkey beyond 35 yards because most places I hunt are in the woods and have fairly tight cover. I have killed 5 turkeys inside of 10 yards and more than ten gobblers between 10 & 15 yards, so a lot of my shots are pretty close. Most are just over 20 yards. Last year was the first time I had the opportunity to hunt an agricultural field. I ended up setting up along the fork on an access road into the field where everything I saw would be in range (force of habit). The turkeys appeared to be comfortable moving through there because they could see out into the open field and the smaller trees along the road weren't likely to hide a threat (so they thought). After I killed my bird, I had my best friend move over with me from the other side of the field. Forty five minutes later, I called him a nice double bearded gobbler for an opening day double. His was shot at 23 yards.

You can tell by the background in these pictures that the places I hunt don't have long distance viewing. I've had a lot of birds go behind me close that I never got a crack at, though far more end up going home with me.



Jim
Attachments
5-11-13 Closing Day..jpg
2013 Closing Day
5-11-13 Closing Day..jpg (282.65 KiB) Viewed 445 times
4-13-13 Opening Day..jpg
2013 Opening Day
4-13-13 Opening Day..jpg (530.16 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Luck Counts, good or bad

icdedturkes
 
Posts: 443
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Re: truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby icdedturkes » April 2nd, 2014, 7:24 am

As I said in the other thread.. The SSX is tighter, usually is longer, has straight rifling and the ports are false ports, meaning they have no influence on wad retardation that is left to the constriction and the straight rifling wad stoppers.. IMO the SSX in alot of guns is the best value choke there but it can be picky of loads.. The 20 gauge SSX is a monster..

Cut N Run wrote:I'm not sure why the SSX isn't as readily available in retail stores. I see many more GSX chokes in stores myself.

Here is the chart for the turkey chokes TruGlo sells
http://www.truglo.com/images/choke_tube_chart.pdf

I'm sure that the difference in constriction between the two chokes is why the SSX is so popular. It doesn't hurt that the price on the SSX compared to higher end chokes helps sell a lot of them.

Jim

Yup it seems to me as well that the GSX gets the nod in stores.. The SSX used to retail around 35 bucks, can still find them there, but now I see them priced as high as 50.. Probably the reason GSX gets more love from retailers..

kygobbler wrote:
I looked at that chart and seen where on my Winchester SX3 the SSX choke is .643 :shock: Man that is a tight choke. Jim if I remember correctly aren't you using the SSX .643? If so, how tight is that bugger at 20 yards? Im almost willing to bet the size of a softball.


Ive shot the SSX in Rem, Rem 20, Ben and 835s.. I own a SX2 and that 643 is one choke I have not ordered.. With the 740 backbore in the INV+ guns I would have little faith it would be worth the money.. I would be interested in squeezing some Fed Hw 7s through it however.

User avatar
Cut N Run
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Location: central North Carolina

Re: truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby Cut N Run » April 2nd, 2014, 8:22 am

icdedturkes wrote:As I said in the other thread.. The SSX is tighter, usually is longer, has straight rifling and the ports are false ports, meaning they have no influence on wad retardation that is left to the constriction and the straight rifling wad stoppers.. IMO the SSX in alot of guns is the best value choke there but it can be picky of loads.. The 20 gauge SSX is a monster..


Picky is right. That same SSX won't shoot any Remington shell worth a darn. I might as well be using a modified choke with them. The Kent did pretty well and the Winchester Supreme were probably the best copper plated shot I tried. The older Federals and the non-plated strut shock were good enough, but not great. The constriction on the SSX is too tight for the Flite control wad. I haven't tried Federal HWT with a decent wad. Once I tried the Hevi 6s or 7s, I was way impressed with that combo. That SSX choke doesn't like the Mag Blend at all for some reason either.

I tried seven other brands of chokes with plated , non-plated, Hevi shot and Mag Blend, yet the SSX in my gun produces the best patterns overall. I am going to try a custom choke after the season just to see how it patterns. Choke/ammo combinations are kind of like chasing the holy grail...it can be a never ending quest (What is your name? What is your favorite color?....sorry Monty Python flashback). How good a pattern do you really need? I used to hunt turkeys with a single shot with a fixed modified choke and killed every turkey I ever shot with it (10 birds) which is part of why I let 'em get close.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

icdedturkes
 
Posts: 443
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Re: truglo ssx vs. gsx tube

Postby icdedturkes » April 2nd, 2014, 8:37 am

Cut N Run wrote:
Picky is right. That same SSX won't shoot any Remington shell worth a darn. I might as well be using a modified choke with them. The Kent did pretty well and the Winchester Supreme were probably the best copper plated shot I tried. The older Federals and the non-plated strut shock were good enough, but not great. The constriction on the SSX is too tight for the Flite control wad. I haven't tried Federal HWT with a decent wad. Once I tried the Hevi 6s or 7s, I was way impressed with that combo. That SSX choke doesn't like the Mag Blend at all for some reason either.

I tried seven other brands of chokes with plated , non-plated, Hevi shot and Mag Blend, yet the SSX in my gun produces the best patterns overall. I am going to try a custom choke after the season just to see how it patterns. Choke/ammo combinations are kind of like chasing the holy grail...it can be a never ending quest (What is your name? What is your favorite color?....sorry Monty Python flashback). How good a pattern do you really need? I used to hunt turkeys with a single shot with a fixed modified choke and killed every turkey I ever shot with it (10 birds) which is part of why I let 'em get close.

Jim
I started shooting it with the Old White Hevi which I believe the choke was designed for and loved being pinched... Most the guns I have found it shoots the Hevi 7s well and now longbeard 6s as well.. The 20 Gauge SSX has shot HW 7, H13 7s and Nitro 7s all exceptional in my gun and seems more versatile than the 12 gauge SSX.

As for the Federal FCW, I would not be so sure about tight choking.. The best patterns in a 12 I have ever seen is from Jim Ward(Warbird Turkey Calls) he had a 650 Angle Port shooting a Remington and the 3.5 7s.. Tru lock the only company that seemingly has gotten these shells to shoot in a 12 gauge with any consistency is running 650.. I have a good friend whom just had his gun set up for the HW 7s at Rob Roberts shop, whereas Rob has probably played with the Federal HW with FCW more than any man alive with his Benelli contract and he is shooting a 640 out of a Maxxus with its 740 back bore.. Additionally I have seen a few people pleased with the SSX and the HW7s in a 12.

I believe alot of these companies have found better luck ignoring Federals suggestion of more open choke and went to more radical choking to get results.


Return to Shooting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests