Trying something New

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
WillowRidgeCalls

Trying something New

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 19th, 2014, 6:50 pm

This year I'm going to try Federals Prairie Storm for turkeys, and see if it performs as well as their Black Cloud does on ducks? It has the same load as their Mag Shock turkey load, same wad and copper plated lead + the flight control lead in with it. It's a little faster in FPS 1350, with the same load as the mag shock. If it performs as good as the black cloud with a IC choke in it, then it should work great for a Full or an XFull turkey choke, at about 1/2 the price, $20. for 25 compared to $15. for 10. for 3" 5's. Be interesting to see how it works.
Is any one shooting it for pheasants?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Re: Trying something New

Postby charlie elk » February 19th, 2014, 8:02 pm

For pheasants, it's the best load for them hands down. Using #5 3 inch they've turned my 20 ga into a pheasant killing machine. #4- 2.75" work well in my 12 when therir is a need to reach out further. These shells are designed to spread out and hold their pattern out to 40 yds. The flight control wad in PS is different than the Turkey Loads.
I have patterned both using IC choke. PS will give you a 25" spread out pattern at 20 yards and 30" at 40 yds. TL with IC choke produce a 8" pattern at 25 yds and about 12-15" pattern at 35 yds.
On the firing range the PS FC wad is usually only a few feet away. The TL FC wad is downrange at the target. With the TL if I use any more choke than IC the wad is stripped off earlier- gets about half way to the target, the pattern is OK; but is much better using IC.
From my experience I highly recommend using Federal's Turkey Loads for turkeys and Prairie Storm for pheasants and BTW, PS 2.75" #6 are excellent grouse loads.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 23rd, 2014, 9:21 am

Given the data Charlie has provided, a 30" inch pattern at 40 yards, designed for flying game, is going to make your turkey breasts weigh a lot more. The wad being much further down range is evidence that the pattern holds better at distance.

Even though the extra feet per second is appealing for downrange energy, I'd stick with the Turkey load for the pattern density and avoid peppering your turkey and activating your dental plan.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

wingseeker

Postby wingseeker » September 20th, 2014, 2:09 pm

No, I like the HeviPheasant loads for the upland birds

glenhunter

Postby glenhunter » October 24th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I too like the HeviPheasant

gh :D

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » December 9th, 2014, 9:19 am

If you get patterns you are satisfied with at the ranges you intend to shoot than by all means use it.. But...

The flitestopper pellets are intended to create maximum trauma on birds.. Having breasted lots and lots of fowl shot with black cloud they do indeed do their job, but penetration of the flitestopper pellets in relation to the equal sized standard round pellets they are paired with in the load, they have less penetration..

With turkeys as you know its about breaking the Central Nervous System and not creating shock and trauma, penetration is more important which round pellets do better.

Return to Shooting