Anybody tried Winchester's LongBeard XR ammo?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
icdedturkes

Re: Anybody tried Winchester's LongBeard XR ammo?

Postby icdedturkes » January 21st, 2014, 3:14 pm

hawglips wrote:
allaboutshooting wrote:It seems to depend upon what choke tube I've used. I'd been seeing good patterns until last Thursday when i shot a couple through a turkey choke that a fellow sent me. It may have been the choke or maybe just a couple of bad shells but the patterns were very poor. They resembled large "8"s with lots of holes and gaps. I shot them through my 935 which normally patterns everything very well. The choke was ported with a .675 exit diameter, so I was a little surprised at the results.

So far I've just shot the 3" shells with #6 shot. I still have the 3" shells with #4 and #5 to try as well as 3.5" shells with #4, #5 and #6 shot.

It's too cold here now, only 18, to do any serious work at the range but when it warms up, I'll shoot a few more and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark, since the thing that makes these shells pattern better than other lead shells is that the payload is encased in resin - which holds the shot together for a longer period of time and seems to be broken up as it exits the choke - I wonder if a more open choke might be the way to go with them. Sort of like the principle of the flite-control wad. That would be interesting to test and see.

Hal

Hal I believe I have read where it is not the choke but the detonation that turns the resin from a solid to powder or whatever..

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 21st, 2014, 7:07 pm

In your guys opinion, do you think a nonported choke tube would work better with these shells or would it matter? The reason why is because I use a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .670 or .675 (I can't remember) and its ported. I'm not sure if it would make a big difference or not.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 21st, 2014, 8:52 pm

kygobbler wrote:In your guys opinion, do you think a nonported choke tube would work better with these shells or would it matter? The reason why is because I use a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .670 or .675 (I can't remember) and its ported. I'm not sure if it would make a big difference or not.

I know Sumtoy with no porting but raised wad catchers has had great results while another I know a guy that shoots a radical porting design is having great results as well.. Its really to early on these shells jurys still out.. But kicks produces a great LEAD choke and he is close with Winchester so it may work or he may have something in the future that will work.
Last edited by icdedturkes on January 22nd, 2014, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 21st, 2014, 11:51 pm

Thanks ice.

Previous

Return to Shooting