Why the 10 gauge ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Jrhunter25

Why the 10 gauge ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 9th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Why is the 10 gauge needed for hunting ? If the 20 is usable and 12 is great, why need the 10 ? Compared to 3 1/2 " 12 gauge shells and 3 1/2 " 10 gauge shell you only get a few more fractions of ounces of shot and a bit more shot. And you get a boat load of recoil.

charlie elk

Re: Why the 10 gauge ?

Postby charlie elk » December 10th, 2013, 9:16 am

I've asked the same question. Personally I've used a 12 with 2.75" shells all of my turkey hunting years. Unfortunately ammo companies have mostly fazed out the short shells in favor of the 3". My old 1100 is not chambered for those so I finally ungraded. Much to my surprise with the new ammo out these days my new Franchi 20 Affinity with 3" performs at the same level as my old 12. The Benelli M2 with 3" is clearly enough and might be a little overkill.
The vast majority of my turkeys are killed within 25 yds. So for me, the long shooting shotguns are not necessary, plus my messed up shoulder does not like the extra recoil of a 10 with 3.5" shell.
This spring I might go down to the 20 gauge. The gun light both in weight and recoil making it very nimble in the field. Shoots right where I point it and is deadly out to 40 yards.

A good buddy who regularly shoots turkeys in fields out 70+ yds shoots a 10 with 3.5s. We frequently debate why you would do that. If you are killing turkeys at 100 yards are you really turkey hunting or are you just turkey shooting?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 10th, 2013, 12:24 pm

My experience and knowledge from shooting a 10ga, which I shot quite often. The 10ga goes back to the age old theory of *Bigger is Better*, back in the days when the 10ga was a popular load it was better than a 12ga for reaching out there at long distances and touching what you were shooting at, it also offered you more shot to cover a larger area. With todays technologies you now can do the same with half the size of the gun. You'll hear a lot of hunters say *you owe it to the bird to kill him cleanly*, that is very true. No offence to anyone, but using a 10ga or a 12ga, 3-1/2", today somewhat points towards your lack of abillity to work a turkey in close. but not every bird will work in close, so that day the bird beat you. The larger guns have their place, if you have a limited time to hunt or the area your hunting has thick cover the bigger guns are a better choice, but when that little girl walks by you with her 28ga and a bird over her shoulder it's a bit humbling :oops: . The older guns used to have long barrels 30-32", the belief was a longer barrel shot a tighter and better pattern, but again with todays tecknologies a 28" barrel is considered a long barrel, most of todays guns have a 22-26" barrels and chokes that help you reach out there the same as the longer barrels did.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 11th, 2013, 10:17 am

Back in the early days of cartridge guns there was very little choke, and choke was almost non-existant in muzzle loaders. The 10's could produce a denser pattern at longer ranges. As chokes improved the smaller gauges were able to hold their own against the 10's with the aforementioned reduced weight and recoil. I love my 10. I did not start out looking to buy a 10 but it was the first gun that had good locks, stock and decent barrels that I could afford. It is a beast to lug around and at times I yearn for a smaller lighter gun. I don't seek field birds nor is my gun capable of 70 yard shots but I do LIKE hunting with it. Inside 40 yards it probably makes no difference whether you choose to hunt with a 10, 12, or 20.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 11th, 2013, 10:22 am

I used to work with a guy that used a 10 gauge H&R. We always figured that accounted for some of his weird way of thinking. :D :lol:
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Shooting