20 gauge or 12 pump ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Jrhunter25

20 gauge or 12 pump ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

In my last question in the talking' turkey board that I was going to get a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, but the more I keep looking about turkey hunting the more I see the 12 as more effective. The 12 has more pellets, larger pellets, more knockdown power ( not ft.lbs ), and is WAY more common in shells, chokes, and guns. But the 20 has less recoil, less noise, and can be in a lighter gun. I want a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 if I can get one cheap enough, but any good pump would do too. So is the 12 or 20 better ? Can I handle recoil ? Last time I fired a shotgun was when I was 10, and I shot trap with a 20 gauge auto with trap loads. I am now 13.5 years old and back when I was ten it took 20 shots get my arm a bit sore. But now I am bigger and stronger, so I think I could handle a 12, but the 20 would be less recoil so no chance of a flinch. Help me out please.

kygobbler

Re: 20 gauge or 12 pump ?

Postby kygobbler » December 3rd, 2013, 9:42 pm

Jr, I take about 6 kids, boys and girls, that are around your age. They all use the same gun. Its a youth Remington 870 20 gauge pump. I have a primos choke and shoot Winchester #5 supremes. About 30 yards is the maximum shooting distance. I would suggest a 20 gauge for you also. As you said the gun is lighter than a 12 gauge and doesn't have as much recoil also. The last thing you want to do is flinch when you take the shot. Then you will miss the turkey and be discouraged.

Also the way companies are making chokes and ammo now you can turn a 20 gauge into a 40 yard killing machine. Which ever gun you choose make sure it is comfortable to you and let someone help you on figuring that out.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: 20 gauge or 12 pump ?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 4th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Which ever gun you choose, when you first shoulder the gun, close your eyes and shoulder it, then open them and see if the gun fits you. If you have to re-adjust your head to find the bead or look straight down the rib, then you'll end up missing most of your shots. That's the most important thing, not the size or the make of the gun, if it doesn't fit you then it's not good for you. There are a lot more choices with a 12ga, but with the popularity of the 20's there are a lot of good choices out there and more coming every day.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Shooting