Winchester Longbeard XRs?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Uncle Nicky2

Winchester Longbeard XRs?

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » October 15th, 2013, 11:22 am

After a year of mourning the discontinued production of Winchester Extended Range shells, I just found out that Winchester has a new line of turkey loads called Winchester Longbeard XR.

According to the hype, the shells are supposed to carry a tight pattern out to as far as 70 yards, and hit/penetrate the same as hevi-shot. For about 1/2 the price of hevi-shot or the old Winchester XR shells.

The reviews all look good, but was hoping to hear from someone with real-life experience with these shells.

kygobbler

Re: Winchester Longbeard XRs?

Postby kygobbler » October 15th, 2013, 12:19 pm

I haven't seen any on the shelfs yet around here Nicky. Like you I want to see what they do also. Hopefully someone has found a box and tried them out.

retranger

Postby retranger » October 17th, 2013, 7:06 pm

I haven't heard of them. I have always used the winchester # 5's in the 3 inch and never had a problem. I know I am good with them out to 40 yds and I wouldn't shoot beyond that anyway.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 26th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Uncle Nicky2 wrote:After a year of mourning the discontinued production of Winchester Extended Range shells, I just found out that Winchester has a new line of turkey loads called Winchester Longbeard XR.

According to the hype, the shells are supposed to carry a tight pattern out to as far as 70 yards, and hit/penetrate the same as hevi-shot. For about 1/2 the price of hevi-shot or the old Winchester XR shells.

The reviews all look good, but was hoping to hear from someone with real-life experience with these shells.

They are not yet on any shelves, dealers or wholesalers, as far as I know. They may be distributed later this month but only time will tell.
They are standard lead pellets at about 1200 feet per second from the muzzle. The difference is a resin that is injected into the shot payload. The theory is that the resin will prevent distortion at set-back and also cushion the pellets as they travel down the bore and through the choke tube.

No one should be shooting at turkeys at 70 yards, regardless of the shell used. A lead pellet is a lead pellet and can only retain "X" amout of energy at a given range.

We've worked too hard over the last 40 years to encourage responsible sportsmanship and woodsmanship to now change course and tell a new crop of hunters to shoot at unacceptable ranges. For most hunters, regardless of skill or experience, a 40 yard shot is a long shot. The kill zone of a turkey is a very small target at that distance. Wounding a turkey and letting him die days later is just not being responsible.

I sincerely hope that no future marketing or advertising from any manufacturer will do anything to encourage hunters to take longer shots.

I much prefer to shoot at 25 yards. At that distance we can actually see and hear a turkey. It is then a turkey hunt and not a turkey shoot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

retranger

Postby retranger » October 27th, 2013, 8:40 am

70 yard shoot is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!! 40 yards is a long shot and I would prefer something under 30, although when I patterned my gun I had lots of pellets in the right area. Anything beyond 40 is a hail mary shot. I just passed on a nice deer with the muzzle loader at 100 yards.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 27th, 2013, 12:48 pm

retranger wrote:70 yard shoot is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!! 40 yards is a long shot and I would prefer something under 30, although when I patterned my gun I had lots of pellets in the right area. Anything beyond 40 is a hail mary shot. I just passed on a nice deer with the muzzle loader at 100 yards.

I could not agree with you more.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hawglips

Postby hawglips » October 31st, 2013, 1:22 pm

retranger wrote:70 yard shoot is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!! 40 yards is a long shot and I would prefer something under 30, although when I patterned my gun I had lots of pellets in the right area. Anything beyond 40 is a hail mary shot. I just passed on a nice deer with the muzzle loader at 100 yards.

There is a WIDE range of performance from one shotshell to the next, and picking any single yardage standard for all is arbitrary and counter-productive. Some oft-used shotshell/gun combos have no business shooting past 30 yds. On the other hand, certain handloads are more ethical at sixty than many are at 40. This one is just plain low energy lead, encased in some sort of epoxy. It might pattern better than lead loaded in plain traditional buffer, but marketing it as a 70 yd shell is unethical. Seems they are borrowing a play from EM's marketing playbook.

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » November 27th, 2013, 12:21 pm

I am excited to see how these shells shoot. The science behind it sounds legit, but lead is lead. I think that saying a shotgun shell of any material will kill a turkey out to 70 yards consistently should be considered false advertising. Yea those shells might poke some holes in paper at that far, but we all know how tough these birds are. But it does only take only one pellet to kill one sometimes. I killed a turkey last year at 54 yards with Hevi Shot #7's, but I was in a field and didn't estimate the range correctly. I wouldn't have taken that shot if I knew the distance. We owe it t the turkey to put a quick, clean, ethical kill on it. I am excited to see these shells, but telling new hunters that 70+ yard shots are fine, well that ain't cool!
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Shooting