SSX Choke

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
ads1

SSX Choke

Postby ads1 » August 18th, 2013, 8:52 pm

I recently tried an SSX tc150x choke in my Remington 870. After 3 shots I decided to switch out the choke to try another choke. The choke was froze up in the barrel and I couldn't get it out. Ultimately I used a pair of pliers to unscrew the choke. It was difficult to get out and had a lot of resistence even even after it was unthreaded. The choke went in easily but came out hard.

I tried 3 other chokes and they all went in and out smoothly. I really liked the SSX choke but now I am a little concerned. Any suggestions?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: SSX Choke

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 19th, 2013, 9:21 am

Just curious? When you put your choke into your gun, did you just screw it in dry or did you lube it? If you just screwed it in without any lube it will seize up as you shoot it and you won't get it backout. The same goes for putting just an oil on it (like 3n1 oil) as you shoot your gun the oil will lock the threads of the choke up, yes it will lube the threads up and screw in easy and keep it from rusting, but in the long run will do more damage to your choke. Use a good Choke Tube Lube and don't put to much on, just a little is all you need, put some on and screw the choke in and out a few times, then wipe the threads on the choke off and put it back in, it won't effect the tube any and you'll be able to unscrew it easially. That is a must on any new gum you get. When I bought my new gun I didn't take the choke out and lube it, I just shot it and left it in the way it came from the factor. After season I went to clean my new gun up and store it until next season. I couldn't get the choke out, It took two guys to get i out, I held the gun and we wrapped leather around the choke and used a water pump pliers on it to break it loose. Hard Lessen learned. Since then I've lubed it and it goes in and out with fingers.
It could of also been the threads on the choke weren't as clean when cut as they should of been? Remember everything is human made, so there is always a chance for a little error.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ads1

Postby ads1 » August 19th, 2013, 10:24 am

Thanks, you could be right. I used Rem oil. I have a SSX choke on my Benelli and used Benelli oil and have had no problems. I will get some choke oil. Right now I am getting 270 hits with a Jelly Head .660 choke in a 10 inch circle with Hevi #7 and feel good with that. I think I could get more hits with the SSX choke based on the first round, but the 20 yard pattern might be too tight. That is what makes turkey hunting so much fun. You can play all year round. Wisconsin turkey season will be here soon and I'll be ready. Thanks again.

Terry

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 4th, 2013, 9:14 am

Sometimes getting caught in a heavy rainstorm and not unscrewing the choke afterwards to get any water out can be a problem too. One of my guns got wet that way and a little rust formed above the threads on the choke tube, making it a pain to unscrew. I submerged the end of the barrel in Marvel Mystery Oil for a few days and the choke was able to be unscrewed. I buffed the rust off the choke tube, cleaned the barrel, lubed the choke, and haven't had trouble with it since, even after getting caught in the rain again. I had sense enough to remove the choke when I cleaned and dried the gun this time.

I love the way my SSX choke performs. It shows up anything else I tried.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » September 4th, 2013, 6:29 pm

I use an automotive product called "never seize" on anything with threads and never had a problem. I use it especially on the breach plug on my muzzle loader.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Shooting