Winchester/Browning and Bass Pro

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Treerooster

Winchester/Browning and Bass Pro

Postby Treerooster » April 20th, 2013, 8:03 am

I guess Win/Browning are the same company now.

Anyways last year I wanted a backup turkey/duck gun and wanted it to be a pump. So I bought a Win SXP pump shotgun and called Winchester to make sure I could switch the safety to lefthand. The said yes. I didn't want to switch the safety until I made sure the gun would work for me.

I didn't want to have to put any sights on this gun as it is a backup gun and I don't want to mess with sighting it in every spring.

So I get the gun and pattern it a little and after messing with a few chokes I get a good turkey pattern for what I wanted out of the gun.

But the gun is off a little on POA/POI, probably because of I shoot from the "wrong" side. So I make a shim out of some gasket material I had and was able to move the stock over just enough by putting it in where the stock meets the receiver to have the gun shoot right on for me.

Great! Now I take it to Bass Pro to get the safety switched and have a center bead put on the barrel (the center bead makes for a little better turkey aiming when shooting beads). After several days and a few phone calls I find out the safety CANNOT be switched.

I called Win/Browning and they offered to buy the gun back, they even paid for shipping the gun back to them. I just got the check a couple of days ago.

Bass Pro already put the center bead on my gun but when they found out I was sending the gun back to Win, they said no charge.

So Kudos to both Win/Browning and Bass Pro for their good customer service. I did waste some shells and time, but when you are lefthanded you get use to that. :)
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kygobbler

Re: Winchester/Browning and Bass Pro

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Gary. I had to take a pump shotgun back one time to a different store and after two hours of argueing I finally walked out with a new gun that worked.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 20th, 2013, 9:48 pm

I used Dad's Ithaca 37 enough that I could work that right hand safety very well. When I got a left hand safety for my 1100 it made little difference. That is awesome service from both.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » April 21st, 2013, 1:01 pm

wow, nice to hear a good story nowadays from big company's.
Twitter: @edvogler

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 22nd, 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm a southpaw too & shot an Ithaca 37R for years. I love the bottom eject, but wanted a 3 inch chamber. I switched to a single shot (no safety issues there), but I got a deal on a Benelli SBE that was too good to pass up. After a while, I kinda get used to being a left hand shot in a right hander's world. I've since upgraded to a righty SBE II and still shoot a (right hand) Winchester Model 70 for deer. I'm not sure it would make much difference to me, but shooting an opposite hand gun has forced me to make that first shot count if nothing else.

Glad to hear Bass Pro and Winchester/ Browning made good on their product after you were steered the wrong direction.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » April 23rd, 2013, 7:26 am

Have any of you fellows ever brought in ,,,,which eye is your dominate eye?? Not an expert on shooting but to some fellows that makes a difference. My son is righty but dominate eye is his left.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 28th, 2013, 9:33 am

retranger wrote:Have any of you fellows ever brought in ,,,,which eye is your dominate eye?? Not an expert on shooting but to some fellows that makes a difference. My son is righty but dominate eye is his left.

Yes I have checked my eye dominance. To be a decent wing shot that is something that needs to be determined.

I am lefty all the way in everything I do. Except I can switch hit. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Return to Shooting