hevi metal turkey

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
bamabirdbuster13

hevi metal turkey

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » February 16th, 2013, 6:49 pm

was looking into hevi metal turkey shells because of them being a duplex and a cheap hevi shot round and just had a few questions from everyone.
1. steel shot? i have never shot a turkey with steel shot.
2. 1 1/4 oz load? ive always shot a 2oz. load seems like the 1/2oz. of shot would make a difference.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

icdedturkes

Re: hevi metal turkey

Postby icdedturkes » February 19th, 2013, 10:30 am

If you are trying to be thrifty and do not hunt Non Tox areas I would completely pass on this load and shoot lead.

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » February 19th, 2013, 8:03 pm

i was interested in the duplex side of it. but with a max range of 35-40 yrds im happier with lead for sure.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 20th, 2013, 8:32 am

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:i was interested in the duplex side of it. but with a max range of 35-40 yrds im happier with lead for sure.

I think you would be lucky to see that max range.. And if the Hevi Metal Turkey followed the waterfowl it is not true "hevishot" in there but instead a watered down less dense version of the shot.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 20th, 2013, 10:09 am

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:was looking into hevi metal turkey shells because of them being a duplex and a cheap hevi shot round and just had a few questions from everyone.
1. steel shot? i have never shot a turkey with steel shot.
2. 1 1/4 oz load? ive always shot a 2oz. load seems like the 1/2oz. of shot would make a difference.

You may find this of interest http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=575

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Todd1700

Postby Todd1700 » March 1st, 2013, 4:08 am

I can't imagine why anyone would want to use steel shot for turkey hunting. You would be better off with lead. And being a duplex load the smaller HTL 6's are probably going to be what hits the lethal spots on the gobbler anyway. Why limit yourself to a much lighter load of shot in which the DTL shot will only be a portion of what's inside the shell. No thanks, I'll stick with a shell that is totally filled with Hevi-13. Patterns better, kills farther, and worth every cent.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 1st, 2013, 8:09 am

Todd1700 wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would want to use steel shot for turkey hunting. You would be better off with lead. And being a duplex load the smaller HTL 6's are probably going to be what hits the lethal spots on the gobbler anyway. Why limit yourself to a much lighter load of shot in which the DTL shot will only be a portion of what's inside the shell. No thanks, I'll stick with a shell that is totally filled with Hevi-13. Patterns better, kills farther, and worth every cent.

I would not be so sure the other shot is Denser Than Lead

Return to Shooting