suggestions for choke tubes

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Mossberg835

suggestions for choke tubes

Postby Mossberg835 » February 3rd, 2013, 11:18 pm

Well ive decided to purchase a bunch of chokes and shells and see which works the best with my shotgun (Mossberg535) Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for choke tubes and maybe shells to try. I already have a few choke tubes in mind like the Kicks gobbling Thunder, Hevi-Shot® Hevi-13® Turkey Choke Tubes, Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Choke Tubes, Primos Jelly Head Choke Tube, and maybe a Truglo Bone Collector Smackdown Choke tube or one of the H.S.Strut tubes. For shells Winchesters line of shells have i have used them my whole life, Hevi shot, maybe some federal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

allaboutshooting

Re: suggestions for choke tubes

Postby allaboutshooting » February 4th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Mossberg835 wrote:Well ive decided to purchase a bunch of chokes and shells and see which works the best with my shotgun (Mossberg535) Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for choke tubes and maybe shells to try. I already have a few choke tubes in mind like the Kicks gobbling Thunder, Hevi-Shot® Hevi-13® Turkey Choke Tubes, Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Choke Tubes, Primos Jelly Head Choke Tube, and maybe a Truglo Bone Collector Smackdown Choke tube or one of the H.S.Strut tubes. For shells Winchesters line of shells have i have used them my whole life, Hevi shot, maybe some federal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I currently own 2 of the 535s, the combo models, with 2 barrels and owned one of the thumbhole stocked guns until a frined talked me out of it. I like those guns. They are light, easy to carry, come up quickly and can throw excellent patterns when they are properly choked and with the right shell.

The shells that I find that pattern the best and are the most consistent are the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 or #7 shot. They work better in my guns than the 3.5" shells and are certainly more pleasant to shoot. They also allow you to get back on target much more quickly when needed or desired.

It looks like you're about to make a major investment in turkey chokes. I started doing that in about 1999 when I became very serious about patterning turkey guns. I bought every turkey choke I could find in every exit diameter and shot them with the shells on the market then and added to the choke "collection" over the years as new ones came out. That was also about the time that the turkey shotshell revolution began, so I've watched that and participated in it for many years. Several chokes have come and gone over that time, as have several shotshells.

As a general rule, I've found that chokes that work well with #6 lead will work very well with #6 or #7 Hevi-13 shot. I only shoot chokes that are "Hevi-Shot rated" with any tungsten-based shot however.

I'd recommend that you visit the site of choke makers to make sure that the shells you want to shoot are recommended for use with their chokes by that maker. The shot material or wad configuration may cause some makers to discourage the use of a particular product with their chokes.

The chokes that I find to work best with my 535s are Wright's, Hevi-13, SSX and JEB's turkey chokes. They have quite different designs but all work well.

Lastly, I'd really recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of your 535. it can help more than you might imagine. Here's a link to the article that outlines that procedure http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 6th, 2013, 9:05 am

I got a witness on the TruGlo SSX .643 with 3" Hevi #6s. That combination throws a more incredible pattern over what I had been successfully killing turkeys with for years. My patterns now are tighter and more even at greater distances. The last turkey I shot with that combo didn't even flop. There's no longer any need for me to continue to search for a better choke & ammo mix than what I've got. It rocks!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 11th, 2013, 10:07 am

Cut N Run wrote:I got a witness on the TruGlo SSX .643 with 3" Hevi #6s. That combination throws a more incredible pattern over what I had been successfully killing turkeys with for years. My patterns now are tighter and more even at greater distances. The last turkey I shot with that combo didn't even flop. There's no longer any need for me to continue to search for a better choke & ammo mix than what I've got. It rocks!

Jim

That's great Jim. That choke has worked so well for so many people over the years. I'm glad you're one of them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 13th, 2013, 9:45 am

We are fortunate to have a pile of good turkey chokes available at different price points. The ammo available now is so good it can make a mediocre choke look good..

High Dollar Chokes

Indian Creek- Indian Creek has done a great job of making a choke that works well with Hevi Shot and have it nailed down pretty good for each gun model..

Sum Toy- William has really put the leg work in with his turkey chokes the last few years.. He is very adamant about ensuring every customer gets the type of patterns they want in the end.. He will work with you with different wad stoppers and constrictions till you get what you want.

Pure Gold- Pure Gold has a long standing following with their 670 constriction line of chokes and now offer 660 for smaller shot which is what I would purchase if I purchased one for your gun.

Trulock- Trulock has a new choke out designed specifically for the Flight Control Wadded Federal Heavyweights. The data pool available online shows they may have unlocked the mystery to this wad as results have been good. If I were setting up a brand new 12 gauge I would take this route and shoot the Fed HW 7s in a 3.5.. They are simply the baddest pellet ever commercially loaded in a turkey shell..

These chokes above cost more money but in the long run can be cheaper. Each of the companies will work with you and swap constrictions or offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Plus with the above, all have great personal customer service.

Tru Glo Bone Collector- Pretty new to market.. I own one in a 20 g 555 and was impressed with initial shooting.. I have seen some patterns online from others in a 12 and it looks like Tru Glo has another winner..

Tru Glo SSX- I have one paired with a short barreled 500 and it shoots extremely well with WIn HV lead.. Choke can be hit or miss with its tight constriction.. Works very well with the H 13 7s..

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » February 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm

thanks for the replies guys
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

allen.riggs

Postby allen.riggs » February 25th, 2013, 11:27 pm

I use Hevi-13 and shoot the HeviShot turkey choke. It ois made by Carlson's and developed around the HeviShot loads. I get great patterns with it and have killed non-committal Toms way out there with one shot. I'm sold on it's effectiveness.

Return to Shooting