Harmonics in Shotgun Barrels

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Harmonics in Shotgun Barrels

Postby allaboutshooting » January 26th, 2013, 10:20 am

I recently completed a multi-year research project and published my results at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=580

So much has been written about the effects of harmonics on rifle barrels but I could find no work on harmonics and shotgun barrels. If you take a look at the article you'll see that shotgun barrels are indeed affected and that it's possible to influence their performance by dampening harmonics.

I hope you find the article interesting and informative.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

bcknuts

Re: Harmonics in Shotgun Barrels

Postby bcknuts » January 26th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Fantastic article clark.Found it to be very interesting.Have a question what about open sights seems to me this would not work in a hunting application.Unless the dampner is very small. Thanks Clark

allaboutshooting

Re: Harmonics in Shotgun Barrels

Postby allaboutshooting » January 26th, 2013, 11:14 pm

bcknuts wrote:Fantastic article clark.Found it to be very interesting.Have a question what about open sights seems to me this would not work in a hunting application.Unless the dampner is very small. Thanks Clark

Thank you. It was a long-term project. If you shoot a ribbed shotgun barrel and use some clamp-on sights, like the Truglo "Pro-Series" you can use the dampner on the choke quite well. It works of course with "dot" type sights or a scope but if you are shooting just the bead(s) it will obscure the front bead. I used the small X-Ring for that application.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting