Shotgun optics

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
sstephens

Shotgun optics

Postby sstephens » December 31st, 2012, 6:37 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.
Looking for some pros and cons on Red Dot-Aimpoint type sights have always just used bead sight, but thinking about changing.

allaboutshooting

Re: Shotgun optics

Postby allaboutshooting » January 2nd, 2013, 9:10 am

sstephens wrote:HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.
Looking for some pros and cons on Red Dot-Aimpoint type sights have always just used bead sight, but thinking about changing.

"Dot" type sights have become very popular with many turkey hunters over the years. There are basically 2 syles, open and tube type. Many now feature a choice of 2 colors, red and green and some offer a choice of several reticles.

I started using dot sights many years ago when introduced the Bushnell Halo sight. That sight started the revolution and soon there were many similar sights on the market. Over the years they have become smaller, lighter and less expensive. All of those sights are much better now than most of them were just a few years ago and they are much less expensive.

I prefer the open style over the tube style but that's just a matter of personal choice since many shooters really like the tube type. I also like the Burris SpeedBead sight. The mounting system is unique and allows you to look right through it naturally when you mount your gun.

I like any sight mounted as low as possible and the lighter the better for me.

Lastly, I like the Truglo brand of sights. They are well made, reliable and carry an excellent warranty. Their open type are some of my favorites.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting