Versamax choke combos?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Gopherlongbeards

Versamax choke combos?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » November 25th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Well picked up a new toy over thanksgiving, a Remington versamax with the 26" barrel in realtree AP. I bought it primarily for waterfowl but would like to use it for turkeys as well. It came with a set of chokes including a extra full/turkey choke, but I would like to have a couple options. A few questions for you shooting experts: 1) can I use either of the chokes I currently shoot in my 870 (a trueglo and a Remington ventillator)? they both say fit all Remington 12 ga, although I have heard the versamax has different threading/forcing cone? 2) any recommendations on choke combos? I typically shoot 3" lead only, Winchester #5's or Federal #5's.

allaboutshooting

Re: Versamax choke combos?

Postby allaboutshooting » November 25th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Well picked up a new toy over thanksgiving, a Remington versamax with the 26" barrel in realtree AP. I bought it primarily for waterfowl but would like to use it for turkeys as well. It came with a set of chokes including a extra full/turkey choke, but I would like to have a couple options. A few questions for you shooting experts: 1) can I use either of the chokes I currently shoot in my 870 (a trueglo and a Remington ventillator)? they both say fit all Remington 12 ga, although I have heard the versamax has different threading/forcing cone? 2) any recommendations on choke combos? I typically shoot 3" lead only, Winchester #5's or Federal #5's.

First of all, congratulations. The Versa Max is a great gun. I was fortunate enough to be able to shoot that gun prior to its introduction and it's one of the softestest shooting gun that I've shot.

The Versa Max uses an entirely differnt choke system than the standard Rem-Choke guns. Everything is different. Early on, there was there was only one after-market maker of chokes for that gun. I sold a good many turkey chokes made by that company but unfortunately, there was a 6 week wait time and chokes were about $150.00, That did not stop turkey hunters from ordering those chokes but now fortunately, the JEB's choke company stepped in and made a variety of chokes for that gun.[url] http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=295[/url as did Pure Gold [url] http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=249
[/url]

My readers have reported excellent results with both of those chokes. I have tried them in my Versa Max with a variety of shotshells and my results mirror those of my readers. Both are great chokes and they have done best best with Hevi-13 shotshells.

Please let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » November 27th, 2012, 6:30 pm

As a follow up, I patterned my Versa Max last night with the stock turkey choke and was quite pleased with the results. 3" federal #5's with the flight control gave a good pattern (100-150 pellets in a 5" diameter circle at 35 yards). It's going to be strange not having to aim off a bit ( my old 870 shot low and to the right), going to be nice to just be able to put the bead on them. I think I'm going to stick with the stock choke.

p.s. you were right about it being a soft shooting gun Clark, put 10 rounds through it in about 15 minutes yesterday and hardly felt a thing. If I did that with my old 870 I'd have one bruise on my shoulder and a matching one on my cheekbone...

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 27th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:As a follow up, I patterned my Versa Max last night with the stock turkey choke and was quite pleased with the results. 3" federal #5's with the flight control gave a good pattern (100-150 pellets in a 5" diameter circle at 35 yards). It's going to be strange not having to aim off a bit ( my old 870 shot low and to the right), going to be nice to just be able to put the bead on them. I think I'm going to stick with the stock choke.

p.s. you were right about it being a soft shooting gun Clark, put 10 rounds through it in about 15 minutes yesterday and hardly felt a thing. If I did that with my old 870 I'd have one bruise on my shoulder and a matching one on my cheekbone...

That is all very good news! I'm glad to hear the factory choke worked so well for you and that the POI is right on. I wouldn't change a thing either.

Thanks,
Clark

SumToy

Postby SumToy » November 30th, 2012, 8:12 am

We have some patterns up of the gun with HV13. That choke has been out for few years. Check our Facebook or Remington posted our patterns on the Remington Facebook page. Now we have found that it will shoot steel and Buckshot well also. Trick to shooting shells in it that you will find. Test and test we have found it is odd. More to that choke then just cut, turn, and drill. Them chokes will swell if not built proper also. Sumtoy and Tru lock (Fed FC)

Keep it American.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm

allaboutshooting wrote:
Gopherlongbeards wrote:As a follow up, I patterned my Versa Max last night with the stock turkey choke and was quite pleased with the results. 3" federal #5's with the flight control gave a good pattern (100-150 pellets in a 5" diameter circle at 35 yards). It's going to be strange not having to aim off a bit ( my old 870 shot low and to the right), going to be nice to just be able to put the bead on them. I think I'm going to stick with the stock choke.

That is all very good news! I'm glad to hear the factory choke worked so well for you and that the POI is right on. I wouldn't change a thing either.

Thanks,
Clark[/quotet

Just had some friends report the same result to me.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting