Home Invasion Safety: What shotgun do you prefer?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
willcfish

Home Invasion Safety: What shotgun do you prefer?

Postby willcfish » November 24th, 2012, 3:16 pm

What is your favorite shotgun and why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_S1Ab9LQUI

allaboutshooting

Re: Home Invasion Safety: What shotgun do you prefer?

Postby allaboutshooting » November 25th, 2012, 7:01 pm

I like pump guns for home defense. They are very reliable and just the sound of a shell being chambered can "give one pause". With the plug removed it's easy to have 4 rounds of 2.75" home defense loads readily available while leaving the chamber safely empty.

I like Mossberg and Remington pumps and both are easily configured for home defense. There are also many excellent HD shotshell loads available from the top makers. I evaluated a number of them a while back and while some seemed better than others, they all work.

Thanks,
Clark
Last edited by allaboutshooting on December 11th, 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 10th, 2012, 2:59 am

I found this picture of shotgun that would work great but you might end with a bruised wrist.

home defense.jpg
home defense.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Is it turkey season yet?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 10th, 2012, 11:07 pm

That's a "serious" looking gun.

Thanks,
Clark

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 11th, 2012, 8:18 am

I've a Mossberg Mavrick w/2 3/4", 4 buck in the house and a Mossberg pump w/3", 4 buck in my shop .. along w/various handguns :shock:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 11th, 2012, 11:30 pm

misoiltester wrote:I've a Mossberg Mavrick w/2 3/4", 4 buck in the house and a Mossberg pump w/3", 4 buck in my shop .. along w/various handguns :shock:

Great choices. That #4 buck is a very effective round, doing what needs to be done without over- penetration. I evaluated a number of home defense loads a while back using a modified F.B.I. Technical Evaluation Plan (T.E.P.)

You can read that evaluation http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... EDXgZEwZO0 and see how the #4 buck, combined with #2 buck did in the tests.

Thanks,
Clark

shaman

Postby shaman » December 13th, 2012, 8:46 am

The shotgun propped by my bed for the past 30+ years has been a Remmie 1100 with an I/C smoothbore deer barrel and rifle sites . It contains the following:

low brass #6 squirrel. Normally this is all it would take. Getting on the business end of that may not kill you, may not even put you down, but your day is wrecked and you are going to be rethinking your life going forward. This is also the round that is most likely to miss.

High brass #4 turkey load-- same idea, but this is going to be lethal if it lands in the center of mass.

2 rounds of 00 buck.

1 round deer slug-- After I've barricaded myself in the bathroom I'll need something that comes out the other side of the door with some authority.

The bandolier that sits next to it is mostly all 00 Buck
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 14th, 2012, 8:53 am

shaman wrote:The shotgun propped by my bed for the past 30+ years has been a Remmie 1100 with an I/C smoothbore deer barrel and rifle sites . It contains the following:

low brass #6 squirrel. Normally this is all it would take. Getting on the business end of that may not kill you, may not even put you down, but your day is wrecked and you are going to be rethinking your life going forward. This is also the round that is most likely to miss.

High brass #4 turkey load-- same idea, but this is going to be lethal if it lands in the center of mass.

2 rounds of 00 buck.

1 round deer slug-- After I've barricaded myself in the bathroom I'll need something that comes out the other side of the door with some authority.

The bandolier that sits next to it is mostly all 00 Buck

:o If you ever have to pull that trigger .. do it right the 1st. shot, cause' you don't want "the other side of the story" .. ever to be told ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Return to Shooting