Winchester 1300 Pattern

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
eddie234

Winchester 1300 Pattern

Postby eddie234 » June 13th, 2012, 5:47 pm

My new choke came in the mail today (thanks Clark) so I ran out to the range to see what it would do.
I'm shooting my Winchester 1300, SSX choke with the 3in hevi 13's 2 oz of #6. 20, 30 and 40 yards. I was hoping for something a little better at 40 yards but I have to admit it's the best combination I've tried so far.
Twitter: @edvogler

allaboutshooting

Re: Winchester 1300 Pattern

Postby allaboutshooting » June 14th, 2012, 9:15 am

Thank you for showing us your patterns.

You may want to try some "big paper" at least 3 feet by 3 feet just to make sure that you are seeing the central portion of the pattern.

It helps to start with a deep cleaned bore/choke and then shoot without cleaning to see if your particular combo likes it clean or maybe a little bit fouled.

Please let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks again,
Clark

P.S. That choke shoots better the more it's shot. You may also want to consider putting a box of inexpensive 2.75" shells through it.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 15th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Clark, do you know approx how many pellets are in the 2oz heavy shell? On my 40 yard target in the circle, it measures 6in across, there are 52 holes. I drew a 10in circle around it and have 129 holes. On the entire paper there are 213 holes.
I will definitely run some cheap shells through it and shoot some big paper.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 16th, 2012, 8:01 am

eddie234 wrote:Clark, do you know approx how many pellets are in the 2oz heavy shell? On my 40 yard target in the circle, it measures 6in across, there are 52 holes. I drew a 10in circle around it and have 129 holes. On the entire paper there are 213 holes.
I will definitely run some cheap shells through it and shoot some big paper.

Yes, there are about 207 pellets per oz. of #6 shot, so you are putting about 50% on paper. That's a very high number for a target only 6" across. I think you may see some better numbers and patterns when you shoot at some big paper.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 16th, 2012, 9:26 am

TurkeyComander wrote:
allaboutshooting wrote:Thank you for showing us your patterns.

P.S. That choke shoots better the more it's shot. You may also want to consider putting a box of inexpensive 2.75" shells through it.

That's a new one on me...would you explain how this is ?

You may find this article on the subject to be of some interest. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=475

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 16th, 2012, 10:44 am

TurkeyComander wrote:Nice article but comparing breaking in shotgun barrel/choke to breaking in a rifle barrel is kinda silly in my opinion. It does pay to keep the plastic fowling down to a minimum.

eddie234 wrote:I was hoping for something a little better at 40 yards but I have to admit it's the best combination I've tried so far.

If it was me as fast as possible I'd send the choke back for a refund and I'd try a Comp N Choke or a Rhino choke with some Winchester copper plated lead or Extended range ammo.

Thank you. The article reflects what we've learned and observed over the years.

Thanks again,
Clark

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 16th, 2012, 11:47 am

If it was me as fast as possible I'd send the choke back for a refund and I'd try a Comp N Choke or a Rhino choke with some Winchester copper plated lead or Extended range ammo.

I've got a comp-n-choke, in .655 and shot winchester XR #6's out of it. the numbers were not much different. That's why I was hoping the SSX in .643 (being tighter) would give me better numbers at 40 yards.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 16th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Here's a picture of the comp n choke pattern at 40 Yards

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 17th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I ran to the store an got some supplies and spent the better part of the morning polishing my barrel, I've got it to a mirror finish. Hopping it will improve my pattern some. I also picked up a box of cheap shells to fire threw my gun.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 22nd, 2012, 7:47 pm

Well, I able to run out to the range after work this evening and see if my "deep cleaning, polishing and scrubbing" did any good. If you draw circles and count holes all that work didn't seem to improve anything. However what it did seem to do was tighten and center things up.
What I did was put the turkey target on the poster board and as instructed aim at the waddles. I got alot more "kill zone" hits this time. Overall I only added fifteen more holes to the turkey target. It would appear that my shot hit a little high but looking at the target you can see most of the shot was in the head and not the breast meat.
I think I will stick with this set up, It seems to the pretty good.

Next

Return to Shooting