Small shot for turkeys ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
glenhunter

Re: Small shot for turkeys ?

Postby glenhunter » July 12th, 2012, 3:56 pm

I use turkey loads of either #5, or #6s. Both seem to get the job done!

gh

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » July 15th, 2012, 11:22 am

i was always a #5 shot user even when i switched to hevi shot federal turkey loads never liked the fact that the # 4 shot didnt have enuff pellets down range but had the energy to kill birds at a distence... i dont trust #6 shot as we have had bad luck with it in the past in our hunting group... & #6 shot looses energy past like 40 yrds so i a;ways used #5 shot but this past season i had a friend buy some federal hevi shot turkey loads & he got #7 shot he could not go so i baught the 7s from him i was really leery of useing them on turkeys but after 3 gobblers eat the 7 shot & didnt even move at ranges of 24 steps to 50 steps the 50 yrds birds i thought i was pushing the shot as i was moveing on the bird & got caught in the wide open any way after the shot the 50 yard away rio grande gobbler floped twice & was done needless to say PIXIE DUST dusted that gobbler at 50 yrds out of a 3 inch load so each to there own???

hawglips

Postby hawglips » August 5th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Like speed, size is only a means to an end. That end is penetration energy.

The problem with getting your penetration energy from large pellets is that you end up with a sparse pattern. I prefer to maximize both pattern density and penetration energy, so I don't shoot low density pellets made of lead or hevishot.

SumToy

Postby SumToy » August 5th, 2012, 8:20 pm

hawglips wrote:Like speed, size is only a means to an end. That end is penetration energy.

The problem with getting your penetration energy from large pellets is that you end up with a sparse pattern. I prefer to maximize both pattern density and penetration energy, so I don't shoot low density pellets made of lead or hevishot.

What he said he is the man on small shot.

Previous

Return to Shooting