Remington HyperSonic Steel Shotshells

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Remington HyperSonic Steel Shotshells

Postby allaboutshooting » July 21st, 2010, 1:35 pm

I recently received some of these new shells from Remington. I took a box to the range along with a Benelli Vinci that I've been evaluating.

You can read a very brief "first look" and see a before and after picture of this radical new Xelerator Wad at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=405

I hope you find the article interesting and hopefully informative as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

RE: Remington HyperSonic Steel Shotshells

Postby Turkeybuster » July 21st, 2010, 5:05 pm

Thanks Clark keep us posted.
Jon
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 22nd, 2010, 2:55 am

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

Thanks Clark keep us posted.
Jon

Hey Jon,

Will do. This looks like a very interesting shell. I plan to pattern it some with different chokes, etc. and I'll take it waterfowl hunting this fall. I also plan to share some of these shells so that others can try them and see how they work for them.

Thanks,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 22nd, 2010, 3:42 pm

Clark that wad base is interesting I am sure they are experementing with it on turkey loads as well.
I don't understand Remington not persueing mixed shot sizes with the success they had on the 4x6's. That is the most underated shell on the market as far as I am concerned.
I have never saw it shot in any gun that it didn't perform well and is a consistent killer on turkeys. I keep a case on hand always.
Jon
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 23rd, 2010, 5:39 am

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

Clark that wad base is interesting I am sure they are experementing with it on turkey loads as well.
I don't understand Remington not persueing mixed shot sizes with the success they had on the 4x6's. That is the most underated shell on the market as far as I am concerned.
I have never saw it shot in any gun that it didn't perform well and is a consistent killer on turkeys. I keep a case on hand always.
Jon

Hey Jon,

I have talked with the folks at Remington about the Xelerator Wad since they issued a press release about it in November of last year. Since the shells are now on the market, they should be available for the fall waterfowl season.

We've also discussed other applications for that wad but I'm not sure what they have in mind but I hope some turkey loads are in their future.

Thanks,
Clark

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » February 5th, 2011, 2:48 am

I shot some of these before the 2010 fall waterfowl season. They patterned very well in the Remington 887 I had with two different chokes. They do kick very hard, however, if you don't mind the recoil I highly recommend them.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 5th, 2011, 3:40 am

Hey Steve,

I spread some of these around to several of my friends this year who are big waterfowl hunters. They all tried one, just to see how they "felt" prior to the season. All were impressed with the recoil. Those same hunters however were really impressed with them in the goose pits and duck blinds. I've heard from all of them and they killed birds regularly and cleanly with them.

Frankly, it's a pretty unpleasant shell to shoot at the range but in the field it does exactly what it's supposed to do, just as you said.

Thanks,
Clark

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » February 5th, 2011, 3:56 am

They don't pattern well at all out of a Benelli Black Eagle and a Black Cloud choke.  The 1700fps is blowing the pattern,IMO.

CB

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 5th, 2011, 4:04 am

Hey Clark,

I visit this forum and your website regularly and I don't think I've ever seen your reviews for this products. I've never hunted waterfowl before but I plan on going this year and I'll definitely try out a box or two of these shells first. Thanks for the great info.
Brian

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 6th, 2011, 3:02 am

Hey Brian,

I wrote a short article on these shells last July. You can read it at http://www.allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=405

I took that shell to the range with a Benelli Vinci. This fall & winter I've had a chance to give them additional field work and shared them with a bunch of "serious" waterfowl hunters.

It's been doing a very good job for them. The other day 3 of my friends used them on snow geese and had a good report.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting