pattering head ache

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
dan

pattering head ache

Postby dan » April 3rd, 2010, 10:48 am

Ive been shootin all morning. Nothing seems to pattern good enough. Shot 5 6 7.5 # 2 2.75 and 3" Best pattern is 50 #5 in 8"circle at 40 yrds . Funny next best is 2&BB both 30 shot same circle. How do you get those elusive . 1oo shot in 10 circle patteren. Used full xtra full super full in a 870 mag 28" barrel 12 ga any chokes recomended . Shoudnt an 870 shoot better?

mark hay

RE: pattering head ache

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2010, 11:40 am

50 pellets in an 8 inch circle at 40 yards ? That turkey is dead before he falls.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 3rd, 2010, 11:58 am

I agree with Mark. 50 in an 8" at 40 will put any bird down. That choke will also help you out on closer birds, where a super tiight pattern may hurt you.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dan

Postby dan » April 3rd, 2010, 12:10 pm

Thanx guys. But am i worrying for nothing . If i am why do most preach for titer patterens. Is 100 IN 10" the norm ?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2010, 1:32 pm

First ,,,WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
What kind of terrain are you hunting ? WOODS ,,FIELDS,,,BOTH ?
What are your goals ? If killing turkeys at greater than 40 yards is your desire ,,,,,,ya might want to keep testing different loads and chokes .
 If your hunting typical turkey woods , your gun is great,,,,far outshining my pattern at 40 , but I want 'em closer .
 There is plenty of knowledge here . The more questions, the more responces , and help .

dan

Postby dan » April 3rd, 2010, 2:03 pm

You all seem really nice and helpful thanx . Ill be hunting in the mountains of w.va . 40yrds is a long shot . But if i could get a little more range.. just by changing chokes or differnt loads it would be worth it ... just in case he wont come in any further . It just seems like everyone I talk to has a fifty yrd gun. Ill be checking this periodically so please keep that info coming.

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » April 3rd, 2010, 3:08 pm

I've  had really good luck with a Comp-n-Choke .660 in my 870 with a 28" barrel.I shoot 3" Win HV # 5's.This setup will put in the mid 120's in a 10"circle at 40 yards.Hope this helps.Good luck.What part of WV are you from?
canecreekcalls.com

dan

Postby dan » April 3rd, 2010, 3:25 pm

I live in Dawson in between Beckly and Lewisburg

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » April 3rd, 2010, 3:45 pm

Dan -- I'm fairly certain that Remington super full is reduced to .675. I am assuming you are shooting lead and not heavier than lead loads like Hevi-13.

With #5, #6 and #7 copper plated lead your factory choke will get the job done, but not achieve the tighter 10" 150+ patterns at a taped 40 yards you are probably seeing here or on the other forums.

With that 870 and that barrel, I would try an aftermarket choke, perhaps the Jellyhead .665. That should tighten up your lead patterns for you just fine, and get you over the 100 in a 10" circle at least with those #6s.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 3rd, 2010, 4:55 pm

Welcome to the forum Dan!

The guy you really want to talk to on here is Clark! (allaboutshooting). He's kind of our resident expert when it comes to guns and ammo around here.  But from what it looks like to me you have a pretty good pattern going on. Alot of guys make the mistake of taking the longer shots on birds. My first bird was taken at 60 yards. At that time I was a total newbie when it came to turkey hunting. although at the time I did not realize just how far the shot was it was still rather long shot. I would not take a shot at such a distance now. Even though the gun I use now holds a tighter pattern.

The problem with taking those shots out past 40 yards is that you take the chance of not killing the bird but maming him and educating him in the process. Knowing the effective range of your gun is very important in case you do need to take a shot past 40 yards. My cofortable range is 50 yards. I know my gun has an effective range at that distance. But even though it could kill a bird farther i will not chance it. To many things can effect the shot. Wind,brush,etc...
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Next

Return to Shooting