new to forum and new gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
adam3006

new to forum and new gun

Postby adam3006 » January 21st, 2011, 7:30 am

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to the forum. I just bought a NEF Pardner 10 gauge 24" barrel with screw in chokes. I have been looking at getting either a pure gold, rhino, or jellyhead choke for this gun. I would like to shoot either hevi-shot or nitros. Just wondering if any of you shoot this gun and if so what choke and shell combos have you had luck with? Thanks

grizzly

RE: new to forum and new gun

Postby grizzly » January 21st, 2011, 12:15 pm

first let me welcome to the forum adam . i have to say i can't help you much on your gun . but i can offer you this much advice when i was a younger man i believed all those storys about how those toms were hard to kill so i bought a h&r 10 guage by the why i use number 4 shot and i will warn you this gun will kick so when the time comes to take it to the range it might be a wise investment to get some thing like a lead sled and save your shoulder and please wear ear muffs for it's also prettty loud .good luck in your hunts[:)]wayne

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 21st, 2011, 12:26 pm

Hey Adam,

I'd also like to welcome you to the T&TH forum. This is a very good place with good people who will help you all they can.

I don't shoot 10 gauge shotguns but shoot a number of 12s and 20s. You can find someone who favors all the choke brands you've mentioned and also will have a favorite shotshell.

I'd just add to what has been said already about protecting yourself when you pattern that gun. It will be a kicker! I'd recommend that you use a good slip on recoil pad, a slip on cheek rest and that you wear ear plugs, ear muffs and good eye protection. We sometimes forget that sound (noise) can be as fatiguing and cause a flinch as much as the kick from a gun.

I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of that gun prior to shooting it. I recommend the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

Whatever you choose, all my best with your new gun and for the spring season. We look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you better.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 21st, 2011, 1:17 pm

Welcome Adam glad to see you here hope you like it.
Get a good grip on that cannon before you touch it off and good luck.

Jon
Turkeybuster

MrCritterKiller

Postby MrCritterKiller » January 21st, 2011, 3:59 pm

Hi Adam,

Nitro has recommendations for your gun here: http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

The Nitro/Rhino combination is a proven winner. You will not be disappointed with their advice. Mind you, almost any halfway decent 3.5 " load will crumple a tom at 40-45 yards.

Having run more than my fair share of 3.5" 12 gauge loads, I can only shudder at what a 10 gauge would be. I can take 4-5 shots max before the flinch creeps in (and I've been doing this for 16 years).

I can hear Clark right now, and this is what he'd say: go with a 3" load, #6 Hevi-Shot and save your shoulder.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 21st, 2011, 10:48 pm

welcome to the forum adam. I can't help you with your NEF 10 ga but I wish all the luck with it.
Is it turkey season yet?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 22nd, 2011, 3:36 am

ORIGINAL: MrCritterKiller

Hi Adam,

Nitro has recommendations for your gun here: http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

The Nitro/Rhino combination is a proven winner. You will not be disappointed with their advice. Mind you, almost any halfway decent 3.5 " load will crumple a tom at 40-45 yards.

Having run more than my fair share of 3.5" 12 gauge loads, I can only shudder at what a 10 gauge would be. I can take 4-5 shots max before the flinch creeps in (and I've been doing this for 16 years).

I can hear Clark right now, and this is what he'd say: go with a 3" load, #6 Hevi-Shot and save your shoulder.

Amen!
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » January 27th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Adam. I've never used a NEF shotgun but the Primos Jellyhead is a great choke tube. I believe it might be a little cheaper too. Good luck!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 27th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Any of the above three are awesome chokes... You could go with hevi shot or HW but the loads are just not designed optimum for the 10 g... Nitro is your only choice if you want maximum performance.. 

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » February 4th, 2011, 7:30 am

Adam, If I were you id trade that monster in for a 12ga. If your into the power,you could get the 31/2 in chamber. you should be able to get justn abo0ut any 12 ga on the market with that as a trade. I used to see a few guys using them on giant canada geese. They work great if you need to take a 60 yard shot straight up in the air. But since the new 3 1/2 12 ga I havent seen a 10ga. They are huge,heavy,kick like a mule and are generally akward to carry in the field.My opinion,do your shoulder a favor and get a 12ga. Also shells for that bad boy are expensive and hard to find.
caution: I make bad decisions.

Next

Return to Shooting