at Gander Mtn- narrowed my selection

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Franco

at Gander Mtn- narrowed my selection

Postby Franco » January 30th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Staying in the 12 guage, price range of around 500 dollars, I tried out some guns. Based on that I believe I can narrow my selection down somewhat. I have eliminated the Mossberg 500 and 800 series. The Moss has shorter fore grip and I tend to grip closer to the receiver.

So that leaves me with the Remington 870 and Benelli Nova.

What I saw there left me with some questions and i would appreciate any opinions

I like the feel of an 870 with a thumb hole stock (pistol grip, shurshot) - is that a bad idea for a turkey gun?

I liked the feel of the action of the Nova the best.

I picked up a Benelli auto with a pistol grip and I liked that (out of my price range). Does Benelli make or can I make a turkey gun out of a Nova with a pistol grip?

The Nova felt heavier, which I did not like. The Nova looked like a better quality gun, but the Nova seemed to rattle a little more.

What is the difference between a Nova and a super Nova, is it just the stock to reduce kick

Pros and Conse between a Nova, 870 and I guess a super Nova

Are pistol grips bad hunting shotguns? I don't think its traditional for shotguns to hunt with. I did not grow up with shot guns like that, but I have been out of hunting and shooting for years.

allaboutshooting

RE: at Gander Mtn- narrowed my selection

Postby allaboutshooting » January 31st, 2011, 4:00 am

ORIGINAL: Franco

Staying in the 12 guage, price range of around 500 dollars, I tried out some guns. Based on that I believe I can narrow my selection down somewhat. I have eliminated the Mossberg 500 and 800 series. The Moss has shorter fore grip and I tend to grip closer to the receiver.

So that leaves me with the Remington 870 and Benelli Nova.

What I saw there left me with some questions and i would appreciate any opinions

I like the feel of an 870 with a thumb hole stock (pistol grip, shurshot) - is that a bad idea for a turkey gun?

I liked the feel of the action of the Nova the best.

I picked up a Benelli auto with a pistol grip and I liked that (out of my price range). Does Benelli make or can I make a turkey gun out of a Nova with a pistol grip?

The Nova felt heavier, which I did not like. The Nova looked like a better quality gun, but the Nova seemed to rattle a little more.

What is the difference between a Nova and a super Nova, is it just the stock to reduce kick

Pros and Conse between a Nova, 870 and I guess a super Nova

Are pistol grips bad hunting shotguns? I don't think its traditional for shotguns to hunt with. I did not grow up with shot guns like that, but I have been out of hunting and shooting for years.

The Remington 870 and Nova (Super Nova has a removable stock) are both good guns. Both have proven designs and are durable good shooters.

I'd choose which ever gun feels best.

I've tried all kinds of stocks but have returned to the traditional design. I have put the ATI AKITA adjustable hunting stocks on all of my 870s and will put one on the 20 gauge 500 in the next few days. That stock has 4 adjustments to the LOP, so Doris and both can shoot those guns, plus I can make it shorter if I have on more clothing or when I'm "scrunched up" turkey hunting.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

turkeyflopper

Postby turkeyflopper » January 31st, 2011, 4:10 am

I have both an 870 and a supernova. Both are great and are durable. I had a buddy that had a nova and cracked the stock so it was useless because it could not be replaced. I'd go for the pistol grip stock, it's way more comfortable and can get real steady. Both the 870 and supernova can accommodate them. Pick whatever feels best for you.

retranger

Postby retranger » January 31st, 2011, 9:20 am

Franco.......I started with the Mossberg 500 but when Mossberg came out with the 935 turkey model I got one. I love it and have real good pattern to 40 yards. It came with the super full turkey choke. I'm sure I could take a bird at 50. Bottom line is what do you like, they are all good.
DRB <- <- <- <-

EMSDJ2

Postby EMSDJ2 » January 31st, 2011, 10:45 am

I just put a sureshot grip stock and forearm on my 11-87 and it was an amazing difference.  Made shooting 3 inch shells alot better on the shoulder when patterning

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 31st, 2011, 4:10 pm

I don't hunt turkeys with a pistol grip stock but I have one on my Knight muzzle loader that I really like. For me, I think a pistol grip helps ensure that your cheek is firmly down on the stock.

Probably the number one reason that hunters miss turkeys is not having their cheek all the way down on the stock resulting in a shot over the bird. In either case, choose the gun that allows you to accomplish this often overlooked facet of marksmanship.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » January 31st, 2011, 5:36 pm

I bought a used 870 express from a buddy of mine and then replaced the stock with the Remington thumbhole stock. Also put the HS telescoping mono pod on it and between these two options I have a comfortable sit and the thumbhole stock allows me to hold the butt into my shoulder comfortably. The monopod keeps my barrel up and at the ready. Don't have any personal experience with the mossbergs, but the 870 has served me well and takes a licking.

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » February 6th, 2011, 7:28 am

Last year, I purchased an 870 Express Sureshot Synthetic for my girlfriend. She's kind enough to let me use it when we aren't out together. It is set up as follows:
-has a 21" barrel,
-chambered for 2 3/4 or 3",
-has the factory Remington Turkey Extra Full choke.
-I have added the softcell recoil pad,
-and a Bushnell red dot TRS 25 (awesome addition by the way).

The scope is on sale now at Cabelas but of course I paid about a million dollars for it here in Canada. I LOVE the red dot and the pistol grip allowed me to swing on a bird in close quarters and shoot one-handed. (Kids, don't try this at home.) My first choice would have been the 870 Supermag Turkey/Predator withscope, but it only became available locally abot a month after turkey season.

This gun is comfortable to pack around and has moderate to heavy recoil, which doen't bother me (6'5", 250#). My girlfriend fired many cheap/light loads through it last year when we were sighting it in, no problem. She did try a shot with the Federals with the flight control wads and that caught her attention. Since then, she now only shoots turkey loads when hunting so that she doesn't develope a flinch or fear of the gun. Of course, in the heat of battle when she shot at a tom in the spring 2010 season, she didn't notice any recoil.

I can't speak for the other guns that you have mentioned, but we are happy with the 870.

My own turkey gun is a Browning Auto 5, 2 3/4" chamber, 28" barrel. It shoots about 8" high even with the rear fibre optic sight taped to the rib. I am not confident with this gun, but it looks good! I've got some work to do this spring once the snow is gone.

Question: Does anyone know of a good choke/shell combination for my A5?

Peter

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 6th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Hey Peter,

I'm sure we'd all like to try to be of help. What kind of shells and what kind of choke are you using with your  A-5 currently?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » February 7th, 2011, 10:18 am

I have to say that I am very impressed to have your ear on my second post, Mr. Bush. First order of business, I have not deep cleaned my barrel yet, but I have printed off your instructions and I intend to do so this spring. Can't shoot yet anyway, we have 3' of snow. Here is my information regarding the A5:

I have shot about 50-100 boxes of duck loads through the gun.

Choke tube: a Truglo TG 156, which I think is 0.630?? or 0.665. There is conflicting information on various websites.

Shells I have shot while patterning all 2 3/4 inch:
Remington Nitro 5s-163 hits at 30 yards, 102 hits at 40 yards in a 12" diameter
Remington Premier Magnum 4s-75 hits at 30 yards in a 12" diameter
and 5s-37 hits at 40 yards in a 12" diameter
Heavi Shot 6s-no data
Federal Magnum Shock (Flight control wad) 6s-124 hits at 30 yards in a 12" diameter.

I also have an old box of lead duck load which I have not shot...Federal Power Magnum Buffered shot 1 1/2 ounce 4s. There 23 left in the box. Would these have enough snap for turkeys?

Regarding the fibre optic sights and shooting high; I presently have the universal fit Truglo sight. I cannot get the rear sight low enough to lower my POI. I have tried all 4 sizes of the better quality Magnum Gobblestopper sights, which seem to have a taller front sight. Three of the four sizes go over the rib and do not tighten and the fourth will not go over the rib.

Peter

Next

Return to Shooting