Are HV Loads Necessary?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
hunter177

Are HV Loads Necessary?

Postby hunter177 » February 8th, 2011, 4:37 pm

I've noticed that most guys use either Hevi-13 or High Velocity loads. I picked up 2 boxes of Federal Premium Magnum, Flite Control Wad 12 ga., 3" with 2 oz. of #6 shot on sale at the gun shop. The velocity on the box says 1150 fps. Within 45 yards or less is this enough velocity to kill a gobbler? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PS: I shoot a Stoeger M2000 12 ga., 3" with a TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke

WyoHunter

RE: Are HV Loads Necessary?

Postby WyoHunter » February 8th, 2011, 5:31 pm

For any shots under 40 yards I don't think there would be a "need" for HV loads. I do think that beyond 40 yards it would be a benefit because a pellet that impacts at a HV would have energy. With the exception of the Hevi-13 Magnum Blends the muzzle velocity of the turkey loads is 1090 fps. The Mag loads are 1200 fps.
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble! Springtime serenade for us Turkey Hunters!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 9th, 2011, 4:54 am

Hey Steve,

A swarm of #6 shot at 1150 f.p.s. will certainly do the job at reasonable ranges. I like to recommend 40 yards as the longest shot at a turkey however.

It's all about the retained energy at the target (turkey head/neck vital area) and as long as we do our job with good shot placement, those loads will work just fine.

A little time spent at the range will let you know if you're getting that swarm of shot in the right area.

All my best this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

shaman

Postby shaman » February 9th, 2011, 8:15 am

Hunter177:  I use the #4 shot Federal 3-inchers and I have never felt under-gunned.    I did some fast figgerin' last Spring and figured out that 80% of my shots have been within 17 yards.  A that point even a 3 inch lead load is sort of overkill. 

I was watching a thread sometime in the past couple of years where guys were going on and on about Nitros and HV's and all that sort of thing, and I think between a dozen turkey hunters no one had taken a turkey past 42 yards. That did not stop them from arguing about performance about this load vs. that and this choke vs. that at 60 and 70 yards. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » February 9th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it. Good luck this spring!

Steve

Return to Shooting