Choke Tubes

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
nyturkeyhunter

RE: choke tubes

Postby nyturkeyhunter » January 27th, 2010, 5:09 pm

anybody?

allaboutshooting

RE: choke tubes

Postby allaboutshooting » January 27th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Hey Mike,

If I've not done so previously, Welcome to the T&TH forum.

I just saw your post about choke tubes. I apologize for not getting back to you more quickly.

Yes, the subject of turkey chokes can be a pretty hot topic. I have tried to shoot all the commercially available chokes and as many of the different sizes of those chokes (exit diameters) as possible, with as many of the popular shotshells and through as many of the shotgun makes as possible.

I've done a lot of shootiing in the last 10 years especially. It's been a very interesting time with many new shells on the market and many new chokes. In many ways, it's the golden age of turkey hunting. It also gets pretty complicated at times.

I shoot 870s in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns in competition, in my work and for hunting. I have some that have thousands of rounds through them and they're still going strong.

The good news is that there are several good chokes on the market today. Some will work better than others and there is a pretty wide range in the prices of those chokes. The good news is that you can invest in a premium quality turkey choke, without breaking the  bank.

The SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=74 is truly a premium quality turkey choke, rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot (Hevi-13, Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density, Remington Wingmaster HD, etc.), it has great internal geometry, throws great hunting patterns and is very reasonably priced.

The SSX Turkey Choke in your gun with a "deep cleaned" barrel and one of the tungsten-based or HV lead loads will allow you to do what you need to do to cleanly kill turkeys at 40 yards.

I hope that helps. Just let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

RE: Choke tubes

Postby allaboutshooting » April 4th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Hey Dan,

I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you,
Clark

NovaBasser

RE: Choke tubes

Postby NovaBasser » April 4th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I'm also interested in some feedback on this.  I'm shooting an 870 Super Mag.  Also what ammo pairs well with the SSX, or which ever choke your recommending?

treefarmer

Choke Tubes

Postby treefarmer » February 10th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I have a question about turkey choke tube constrictions.  Browning has an invector plus choke in 12 gauge called Full Strut Turkey Tube.  They list the constriction as being .102.  Other companies list similar chokes as having constrictions in the neighborhood of .660 to .695.  Browning's number and those used by others certainly differ in meaning.  Will someone please explain this to me.  Thanks.

allaboutshooting

RE: Choke Tubes

Postby allaboutshooting » February 10th, 2011, 5:37 pm

ORIGINAL: treefarmer

I have a question about turkey choke tube constrictions.  Browning has an invector plus choke in 12 gauge called Full Strut Turkey Tube.  They list the constriction as being .102.  Other companies list similar chokes as having constrictions in the neighborhood of .660 to .695.  Browning's number and those used by others certainly differ in meaning.  Will someone please explain this to me.  Thanks.

Yours is a very good question and raises some important points. The term "constriction" is often confused with "exit diameter" (e.d.). Most turkey chokes are advertised by their e.d.

Constriction is how much, expressed in parts of an inch, the inside diameter of the barrel is constricted by the exit diameter of the choke tube. (i.d. - e.d. = C)

Most shotgun manufacturers disclose the inside diameter (i.d.) of the barrels of their guns. For example, the Browning Invector+ barrel is normally stated as having an i.d. of .742. The choke Browning recommends has an e.d. of .640.

So if we take the barrel i.d. for that gun of .742 and subtract the e.d. of the choke they recommend of .640 we have the following: .742" - .640" = .102" of constriction.

Does that make sense?

In reality, the exit diameter of a particular choke is less important that how that choke is made, on the inside, commonly referred to as the "interior geometry" of the choke tube. Every manufacturer has his own idea of what works best.

I shoot a number of Invector+ barreled shotguns in both competition and for turkey hunting. I find that the SSX with a .643 e.d. works very well for both due to the excellent design of that choke tube.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 11th, 2011, 6:04 am

Thanks for the info, Clark.  Never new that.    

treefarmer

Postby treefarmer » February 11th, 2011, 9:58 am

Thank you Clark. You undid my confusion. Now I have some new and nice to know information.

Return to Shooting