Patterning Help Wanted!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
hunter177

Patterning Help Wanted!

Postby hunter177 » February 18th, 2011, 11:35 pm

I know I've asked about patterns before on this forum but here's my situation. I traded my Remington 870 & Stoeger M2000 to get a Mossberg 835 Turkey Gun. I understand the need to test with different chokes and loads but can't afford to go that route. I patterned the 835 with the factory Ulti-Full turkey choke (.690) @ 40 yards with Federal Mag-Shok FC 3", 2 oz., #6 shells. Based on the following, is this pattern good enough to take a gobbler out to 40 yards?

7 pellets brain/spine
56 pellets head/neck
160 pellets on 12"X12" target

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

kygobbler

RE: Patterning Help Wanted!

Postby kygobbler » February 19th, 2011, 1:52 am

Sounds like a dead turkey to me.
Is it turkey season yet?

SpurHuntinHillbilly

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » February 19th, 2011, 1:56 am

I also have the 835 Tactical with the 24" barrel and I love this gun. I know many who have the 835 and shoot the kicks choke with winchester supreme 3.5" 2oz #5's or #6's and its devastating! I shoot a comp-n-choke xxx full with the same winchester loads and its unreal! Good luck with the gun!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 19th, 2011, 2:45 am

hunter177, that is definitely more than you need to kill a turkey at 40 yards. I know sometimes it's hard to find the right choke/shell combo that works best in your gun without taking a hit to the wallet. Like you, I don't have the time or money to buy different chokes and shells to see which one my gun likes best. That's what makes this forum so great. There are so many different individuals on here who shoot the same gun as you and are willing to share with you what results they've had with certain brands or products. That cuts about 80% of the work right there. The other 20% is just actually going to the range and making sure your POA and POI are true, and making sure you're getting a good dense pattern with whatever setup you use.

But I'll say it again, if a turkey walks inside of 40-45 yards of that setup you have, he's in serious trouble![;)]
Brian

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » February 19th, 2011, 7:08 am

I just want to thank you guys again for the great advice. The willingness of other turkey hunters to share their knowledge is just one of the many things I love about this forum. Thanks again!!

Steve

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » February 19th, 2011, 10:32 am

hunter177 - I used to shoot the 835 w/ a Kick's Comp .685 Gobblin Thunder ported choke. It patterned 3.5" #5 and #6 high velocity (2 oz shot) rounds very well. I put a Tasco scope on that gun too. When Buelah barked, it was all business! I also patterned those rounds at 5, 10, and 15 yards just to see where she was putting them.  
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

SpurHuntinHillbilly

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » February 19th, 2011, 11:34 am

ORIGINAL: kenturkey89

hunter177, that is definitely more than you need to kill a turkey at 40 yards. I know sometimes it's hard to find the right choke/shell combo that works best in your gun without taking a hit to the wallet. Like you, I don't have the time or money to buy different chokes and shells to see which one my gun likes best. That's what makes this forum so great. There are so many different individuals on here who shoot the same gun as you and are willing to share with you what results they've had with certain brands or products. That cuts about 80% of the work right there. The other 20% is just actually going to the range and making sure your POA and POI are true, and making sure you're getting a good dense pattern with whatever setup you use.

But I'll say it again, if a turkey walks inside of 40-45 yards of that setup you have, he's in serious trouble![;)]

But I'll say it again, if a turkey walks inside of 40-45 yards of that setup you have, he's in serious trouble!

You got that right! He'll be toast!!![:D]

retranger

Postby retranger » February 19th, 2011, 1:59 pm

DEAD BIRD!!!!! I traded a couple guns 3 years ago and bought the Mossberg 935 turkey gun with the turkey choke from mossberg and I wouldn't hesitate at 40 years. I didn't pattern it at 50 but I believe it would be deadly there as well. I like the 3" 5's.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Shooting