shooting low

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
FyRe610

shooting low

Postby FyRe610 » May 11th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I recently purchased a new shotgun and don't have a lot of experience with them. But i notice that my gun consistently shoots low. I have shot at targets at 20 to 40 yards and always hit the bottom of the target, sometimes most of the shot actually going below the target (about 6-8 inches below point of aim)

Will changing my type shell or choke help with this problem? or is it simply the gun and ill have to just remember to aim high?
Co-worker of mine says that choke/load will not effect the path of my shot and that it will just simply shoot low.

bamabirdbuster13

Re: shooting low

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 11th, 2012, 10:31 pm

i had the first berretta extrema and it did the same thing patterns were always seeming to be low.i sold the gun .a fellow hunter told me to just put adjustable sights on your gun. wich made complete scense i guess.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 12th, 2012, 3:22 am

Like bama said just get you some adjustable sights and you should be able to compensate for it. If you do decide to do this make sure you fire your gun from a steady rest to make sure its the gun and not the shooter. :D
Is it turkey season yet?

FyRe610

Postby FyRe610 » May 12th, 2012, 9:37 am

Anyone know any links to like a ballistic chart for a shotgun if such a thing even exists? Curious what kind of ranges that the pellets would start to drop and if it might be like a rifle and actually start 1.5'' low and rise to your point of aim after a certain distance.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 14th, 2012, 7:57 am

FyRe610 wrote:I recently purchased a new shotgun and don't have a lot of experience with them. But i notice that my gun consistently shoots low. I have shot at targets at 20 to 40 yards and always hit the bottom of the target, sometimes most of the shot actually going below the target (about 6-8 inches below point of aim)

Will changing my type shell or choke help with this problem? or is it simply the gun and ill have to just remember to aim high?
Co-worker of mine says that choke/load will not effect the path of my shot and that it will just simply shoot low.

Many shotguns do not shoot to the exact point of aim (POA) for a particular shooter. If your gun is shooting straight and just low, it may be pretty easy to get it to shoot to your POA.

Many guns today are adjustable to correct this problem. If you gun has some "shims" that came with it to adjust the comb height you'll want to try those to see if you can get it corrected.

If it does not have shims, you can do a couple of things to help. Sometimes a simple neoprene sleeve (Beartooth makes them) over the comb of the stock may be all that you need. By raising the height of the comb, you'll also raise the muzzle of the shotgun. If the sleeve is not quite enough, a product like the Cheek Eez comb pad may do the job. Both of those, or either of them, will also make you gun more comfortable to shoot.

Lastly, as has been suggested, you can always mount some adjustable open sights to the rib of your gun. The best on the market today, in my experience, are the TRUGLO Magnum Gobble Dot "Pro Series", all steel, easy to mount, fully adjustable for windage and elevation and they hold their zero. If you'll post the type of gun you have, I can tell you the model you need.

You can get this problem corrected.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

FyRe610

Postby FyRe610 » May 14th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Decided to call Remington about my gun (Versa Max). I read some stuff online about some bad experiences with them not shooting straight and Remington supplying replacement barrels. After talking to the guy he told me i was not lining up my sight picture right. Since it is my first shotgun i was lining up the sights in a line and not in a figure 8. He said that should raise my shot up dramatically, ill try to get out and try it some more and see if i can get it to hit where id like it to.

I really don't like the idea of an aftermarket sight but ill do what i have to if Remington is no help if the sight alignment doesn't help any.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm

FyRe610 wrote:Decided to call Remington about my gun (Versa Max). I read some stuff online about some bad experiences with them not shooting straight and Remington supplying replacement barrels. After talking to the guy he told me i was not lining up my sight picture right. Since it is my first shotgun i was lining up the sights in a line and not in a figure 8. He said that should raise my shot up dramatically, ill try to get out and try it some more and see if i can get it to hit where id like it to.

I really don't like the idea of an aftermarket sight but ill do what i have to if Remington is no help if the sight alignment doesn't help any.

I should probably have asked what kind of gun you were shooting. Your Versa Max should have an adjustable comb via an insert that can raise you comb and thus allow you to raise the POI. That's a great gun and should provide you with years of service.

I have a number of readers who are shooting them and using them for turkey guns. Since Pure Gold began offering a turkey choke for them at a very reasonable price, I've heard nothing but good reports from the folks who've purchased those chokes from me. Most are shooting 3" shells and seeing excellent patterns with Hevi-13 shotshells with either #6 or #7 shot.

You should be able to take care of your POI problems very easily with that gun.

Thanks,
Clark

FyRe610

Postby FyRe610 » May 16th, 2012, 9:28 pm

According to my manual, the drop at comb is already at the lowest drop available (1 7/16) it says that it can be adjusted to 1 7/8 and 2 1/8. But those adjustments would be moving in the wrong direction correct?

Ill get out soon and try to see if i can fix the issue with using the proper sight picture, if not ill probably be ordering one of those sights =/.

Ill defiantly try that choke once i get a lil more play money hehe. Until i get my aiming situation fixed with lead shot i don't think my pocket book would appreciate me trying to figure it out with those $5 shells lol.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 18th, 2012, 8:39 am

FyRe610 wrote:According to my manual, the drop at comb is already at the lowest drop available (1 7/16) it says that it can be adjusted to 1 7/8 and 2 1/8. But those adjustments would be moving in the wrong direction correct?

Ill get out soon and try to see if i can fix the issue with using the proper sight picture, if not ill probably be ordering one of those sights =/.

Ill defiantly try that choke once i get a lil more play money hehe. Until i get my aiming situation fixed with lead shot i don't think my pocket book would appreciate me trying to figure it out with those $5 shells lol.

Does your gun have the standard comb insert? If it does, you can raise your comb by purchasing a higher insert. Whichever route you choose, you're on the right track with an excellent shotgun.

Thanks,
Clark

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 30th, 2012, 3:50 pm

I have a Benelli SBE II that consistently shot low & right no matter who was behind it. I added a Burris Speed Bead, got it zeroed, and it hits exactly where the dot is aimed.

Good luck with whatever solution you use. Kentucky windage is hardly the thing to have to use for a new shotgun to shoot straight.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Shooting