Decent set up?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Robert Brochu

Decent set up?

Postby Robert Brochu » February 10th, 2011, 6:29 am

For Christmas my wife bought me a Maverick 88 12-guage shotgun. God Bless Her Sweet Soul! Yesterday she bought me a Carlson's extra full choke tube and 2 boxes of Winchester 3-inch #4 shells. Haven't been to the range yet but would this be an effective combination for the demise of Tom?

shaman

RE: Decent set up?

Postby shaman » February 10th, 2011, 10:41 am

Does she have a sister?  I know plenty of guys who'd like a set up like that.

The 88 is just like a Mossy 500-- We have three of them now at camp. No complaints.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Robert Brochu

Postby Robert Brochu » February 10th, 2011, 11:27 am

Actually, she has two. Sadly they are both taken. Sorry.

I like the feel of the feel of the gun, I was just wondering if maybe I should change chokes or use different shells. I'm going to take it to the range hopefully this weekend if I get back home Saturday like I should. Our turkey opener is 4-18 thru 5-8 and I want to make sure that I am at least in the ball park.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 10th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Hey Robert,

Congratulations. Those are great gifts. It won't be possible of course to know exactly how that combination will work until you take it to the range and shoot some "big paper".

I do have a couple of recommendations. Before you shoot it, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the barrel. You can read an article about that process, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

That process will help regardless of choke or shotshell.

Many times #4 shot will not throw patterns that are as dense as #6 shot. If you find that to be the case, I'd recommend the 3" Winchester HV (Black Shells) with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead shot. The very best shell through that gun may be the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of #6 non-toxic shot.

All my best with your new gun and for spring hunting season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Robert Brochu

Postby Robert Brochu » February 10th, 2011, 12:14 pm

OK, then are you suggesting I buy a box of each and try all 3 when I go to the range and see which one works the best?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 10th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Hey Robert,

I'd try what you have first. It may do quite well. If it does not, I'd try the HV shells with #6 shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Robert Brochu

Postby Robert Brochu » February 11th, 2011, 3:19 am

Thank you for your replies. I think I will get the other shot that you mentioned so that I can see which one will perform better. While shotgun shells have gone up in price they are not astronomical and I think I can afford at least 2 more boxes for comparison.

Robert Brochu

Postby Robert Brochu » February 20th, 2011, 5:11 am

Gun range was closed last weekend. Wife and I are getting ready to see if it's open today. I want to shoot something even if it's only paper!!

Return to Shooting