Went to the gun range

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Robert Brochu

Went to the gun range

Postby Robert Brochu » February 20th, 2011, 12:18 pm

I went to the gun range today. Maverick "88" ,Carlson extra full choke tube, Winchester 3-inch#4s and #5s. While both did really well out to 40 yds for some reason the #4s outperformed the #5s. I can't explain it but I seemed to be getting more hits with #4s.

One thing I did notice was that the shotgun seemed to shoot low but once I aimed a little higher it was DEVESTATING!!! I was SUPER excited.

Of course, I am a little sheepish and must confess that I didn't take Clark's advice about the shooter's friend recoil pad and right now I am really regretting it. I shot 45 shot shells today, not to mention the mosin nagant shells I fired(no pad there either) and my shoulder feels like, well it feels like it's been hammered on.

All in all it was a fun afternoon with the wife, we both shot the heck out of things and really enjoyed ourselves.

hunter177

RE: Went to the gun range

Postby hunter177 » February 20th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Sounds like a great day! 45 shotshells is definitely going to make hamburger out of your shoulder. As far as the 4s patterning better, every gun and load combination is different so that doesn't surprise me. Good luck this Spring!

Robert Brochu

RE: Went to the gun range

Postby Robert Brochu » February 20th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Maybe I did get carried away a LITTLE bit, but it was such a nice day, I had GREAT company, and we were having so much fun that I just kept shoving shells in the tube. I'm not bruised just a lot sore!

Return to Shooting