Alternative to Bore "Deep Clean"?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Big10Inch

Alternative to Bore "Deep Clean"?

Postby Big10Inch » February 22nd, 2011, 3:59 am

I saw this video on Youtube and I was wondering if it was a recipe for disaster. They use a powerdrill and steel wool to clean the bore.
I am concerned that the method could damage the bore. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSoH_jxtrMU

Peter

kenturkey89

RE: Alternative to Bore "Deep Clean"?

Postby kenturkey89 » February 22nd, 2011, 5:29 am

I just watched the video and I don't think it will cause any problems as long as you don't get too crazy with the drill. If you use a fine steel wool, plenty of lubrication, and keep the drill on a medium speed while constantly passing back and forth through the barrel to prevent it from getting warm in certain areas, I think that procedure would work, especially if a barrel is as fouled as the one the guy showed in the video.

I like to clean my gun regularly to keep things like that from happening, though. But there are certain situations where a gun can get absolutely filthy. I cleaned a few old shotguns for my grandfather a few weeks ago that were extremely dirty. I honestly don't know if they had ever been cleaned before. I just used a wire brush, Hoppe's #9 and a little elbow greece and cleaned the bore up pretty nice. I don't know if I would ever use the procedure the guy posted in his video, but again, I don't think it would cause any serious problems as long as you're careful.
Brian

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 22nd, 2011, 2:29 pm

ORIGINAL: Big10Inch

I saw this video on Youtube and I was wondering if it was a recipe for disaster. They use a powerdrill and steel wool to clean the bore.
I am concerned that the method could damage the bore. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSoH_jxtrMU

Peter

Hey Peter,

In many cases the steel wool is made from steel that is harder than the bore of the shotgun and put microscopic scratches in it. You also run the risk of making the interior of the bore uneven, creating high and low spots in it and that's not a good thing.

The Hoppe's #9 and a good brass brush will do all that's really needed. It's important to allow the Hoppe's to do its work and the agitation from the brush is just to loosen and remove the "gunk".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

shaman

Postby shaman » February 23rd, 2011, 12:14 am

First off, I use Ed's Red to clean all my bores,  shotgun, rifle, and pistol.  It's a homebrew recipe you get off the web.  It works a lot better than Hoppes #9 in my experience.    If there's a tough job, you can lay Ed's Red down and leave it for a while and it'll keep working and also won't touch bluing.

Second, I would not use steel wool on a bore unless it was close to unusable.  There are a lot of things that are better.  Even 0000 is waaaaay to aggressive.

I have used the power drill idea, but I was using a bore swab with FLITZ on it to polish
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Return to Shooting