Benelli Nova with 28" Barrel Question.

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
SpurHuntinHillbilly

Benelli Nova with 28" Barrel Question.

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » February 18th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Does anyone in here shoot a Benelli Nova with a 28" Barrel? My buddy just put a tru-glo gobble stopper xtreme choke and sights on it (the combo pak) and we just got done shooting it. Had pretty good results with the Hevi-13's (3.5" 2/14oz #5's) out to 40 yds but shot better with the Winchester supreme (3.5" 2oz #5's) He is looking to buy a better choke because it isn't very tight. It would probably be able to take a bird but at that distance it doesnt seem to be very tight. If anyone shoots this gun I'd like to hear any recommendations.

Thanks,
Mack

oldclucker

RE: Benelli Nova with 28" Barrel Question.

Postby oldclucker » February 22nd, 2011, 12:53 pm

Call Carlson's. I talked to them, told them what I ( 3" #5 ) shot. They recommended a choke for my the load I like to shoot.

good luck

oldclucker

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Hey Mack,

I have  24", 26" and 28" barrels for my Nova. I shoot all of them periodically. The best choke that I've found for that gun, regardless of the barrel length, is the SSX with a .643 exit diameter. It is however all about the "internal geometry" of the choke and I just can't find one better. You can take a look at the SSX at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

I'd also recommend the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. It just patterns better and has plenty of retained energy to cleanly kill a turkey at any reasonable range.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

SpurHuntinHillbilly

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » February 23rd, 2011, 10:29 am

Clark,

Thanks for the info and I will pass this along to my buddy. BTW..He's gonna be a first timer in the turkey woods this Spring! Can't wait to get him hooked on the addiction!

Thanks in Advance,

Mack

Return to Shooting