remington 887 turkey gun PATTERN help!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
oldhammer87

remington 887 turkey gun PATTERN help!

Postby oldhammer87 » April 25th, 2012, 9:55 pm

BOUGHT AN 887 NITROMAG 3.5 TURKEY SET UP WITH 22" BARREL AS A STEP UP FROM THE 870 3" I STILL OWN.....BOTTOM LINE 4-6 SHOT WITH NUMEROUS BRANDS OF AMMO AND 3 CHOKES ( 670 PURE GOLD PORTED, TIGHT WAD 660 AND INCLUDED NON PORTED REM XFULL) CANT PATTERN ANY BETTER THAN MY 870. BOTH 3 AND 3.5 AMMO. DOES ANYONE HAVE A HOT SETUP FOR THIS GUN?? WITH 4 THROUGH 6 SHOT TURKEY LOAD.? OTHERWISE I WILL JUST BUY AN 835 MOSSBERG AND RAP THIS F-ING AROUND A TREE. HAVE SPENT 120+ ON AMMO AND CHOKES AND AM AT MY END WITH THIS SHOTGUN. LOVE MY 870 AND REMINGTON BUT WOULD LIKE 3.5 AND A BETTER WEATHER GUN FOR SPRING TURKEY! PLEASE HELP ME OUT! :?

RCTaylor

Re: remington 887 turkey gun PATTERN help!

Postby RCTaylor » April 26th, 2012, 4:49 pm

check with clark at allaboutshooting.com may send him a message on here.
Clyde

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 30th, 2012, 9:18 am

oldhammer87 wrote:BOUGHT AN 887 NITROMAG 3.5 TURKEY SET UP WITH 22" BARREL AS A STEP UP FROM THE 870 3" I STILL OWN.....BOTTOM LINE 4-6 SHOT WITH NUMEROUS BRANDS OF AMMO AND 3 CHOKES ( 670 PURE GOLD PORTED, TIGHT WAD 660 AND INCLUDED NON PORTED REM XFULL) CANT PATTERN ANY BETTER THAN MY 870. BOTH 3 AND 3.5 AMMO. DOES ANYONE HAVE A HOT SETUP FOR THIS GUN?? WITH 4 THROUGH 6 SHOT TURKEY LOAD.? OTHERWISE I WILL JUST BUY AN 835 MOSSBERG AND RAP THIS F-ING AROUND A TREE. HAVE SPENT 120+ ON AMMO AND CHOKES AND AM AT MY END WITH THIS SHOTGUN. LOVE MY 870 AND REMINGTON BUT WOULD LIKE 3.5 AND A BETTER WEATHER GUN FOR SPRING TURKEY! PLEASE HELP ME OUT! :?

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you've not had a good experience with your new gun. I do have a few suggestions for you that hopefully you'll find to be helpful and help you improve your patterns.

The very first thing that I'd recommend would be that you "deep clean" the bore of your gun. If you're not familiar with that process, you can read the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282 That process can help more than you might at first imagine.

The best choke tube that I've found for that gun which shares the same bore as the 870/11-87/1100 is the SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=74 It has unique internal geometry http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=465 and is rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot.

I would recommend that you shoot 3" shells with that gun, in particular the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. That is the most consistent shell on the market today in my experience. If however you want to shoot lead shot, I'd recommend the 3" Winchester HV (Black Shell) with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot.

The combination of the SSX and one of those shells (the Hevi-13 is by far the best) should give you the kinds of patterns that you're looking for in your all weather shotgun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

Postby SumToy » June 4th, 2012, 6:53 am

We have had them guns turn good numbers. A few go BIG numbers. I think you put a 650 to a 660 in it and you will be happy.

Return to Shooting