Temperature and Patterns

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
hunter177

Temperature and Patterns

Postby hunter177 » February 8th, 2011, 1:51 am

If this has been discussed before, pleae forgive me. I'm just wondering if the temperature will affect my patterns? Normally when I turkey hunt the temp is between 50-70 degrees. If I pattern now when it's 30-40, will my pattern change when Spring Gobbler arrives in May? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

allaboutshooting

RE: Temperature and Patterns

Postby allaboutshooting » February 8th, 2011, 4:15 am

ORIGINAL: hunter177

If this has been discussed before, pleae forgive me. I'm just wondering if the temperature will affect my patterns? Normally when I turkey hunt the temp is between 50-70 degrees. If I pattern now when it's 30-40, will my pattern change when Spring Gobbler arrives in May? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey Steve,

Yes, patterns are effected by air temperature. Cold air is denser than hot air, so patterns will be more scattered when it's cold.

You can see some dramatic differences in patterns shot when it's 30 degrees and when it's 50 degrees but you'll really begin to see differences when it's 60 or 70.

There are other factors that will also effect your patterns, such as barometric pressure, altitude and relative humidity. Since we can't control any of those factors, it's good to pattern your gun in conditions similar to those when and where you hunt.

If for example, you pattern your gun and load in the summer, when temperatures are in the 70s or 80s but hunt in the spring or fall when temperatures are in the 40s, you run the real danger of thinking your gun will pattern much better than it actually will at those times.

Conversely, you could become very frustrated by patterning your gun this time of year when temperatures are in the 30s many places.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting